blade guard use on tablesaw

Page 1 of 4
Not to troll or anything -- and I'm already dodging flames, but how many use/don't use the blade guard on their table saw? I must confess I very rarely use mine.
I never use mine. threw it away first week I owned it. Bought a Bies spreader/splitter since I do worry about safety and never looked back.

We went through this a week or so ago. You can find the thread on Google.
I use mine. Probably less than half do.
I had an insurance inspector visit at work last week. He said he will find the same things in every shop. The bench grinder is not adjust properly (ours wasn't) and if there is a table saw, the guard will be off. (we don't have one). Ed
I have worked in professional industrial wood shops since 1980. Trust me, DON'T USE THE GUARD. Ours are there only for OSHA and are purposely designed to be easily moved out of thway to a safe position. If you have a slide-down guide, and need o have it there, drill a hole in the upper slider and stick a penci in it to keep the darn thing up while you work. Our other ones are on swivel pipes, etc. You do not need another thing to deal with while passing your hand near a spinning, tilted meat grinder.
"RM MS" wrote

I knew an old gentleman, recently deceased, who had been a barnstorming pilot in his youth. He believed auto seat belts were unsafe and refused to wear one. For him, safety was a matter of skill and performance, not claptrap constraints. Statistics did not apply to him, he said. Was he right or was he wrong?
Joe Gilman

That depends. Did he die in a car crash?
Seriously, though... anyone who thinks that statistics don't apply to him, is a fool. And so is anyone who believes that auto seat belts are unsafe. The evidence that seat belts save lives is overwhelming. Only fools refuse to wear them. It doesn't matter how good a driver you may be, you're still sharing the road with thousands of reckless morons. To believe that your skill alone is enough to protect you from them is delusional.
Doug Miller wrote:

I agree completely, and I'm a seatbelt wearer. Have been since before the goverment started trying to force people to wear them. I had a really nasty wreck when I was a kid. T-boned an old, nearly deaf man who ran a stop sign. I hit hard enough to break the motor mounts, and the battery exploded. The floor pan buckled and my passenger wound up with the top of his seat almost out the window (and he would have probably smashed the glass with his head if it hadn't been summer, and the window hadn't been down...)
I got a nice red mark on my shoulder. No other injuries. My passenger didn't even get a red mark. I believe in seatbelts!
Having said that, I'm coming to be of the opinion that seatbelts in heavy trucks are pretty pointless. I've had two accidents and countless panic stops. Most recently, an idiot decided to come across *four* lanes at the last possible second to change her mind about which way she wanted to go at a junction between two interstates. She cut it too close, clipped the guardrail, blew out a tire, spun completely out of control, and even though I was doing my damndest to avoid a collision, I T-boned her. Completely obliterated her vehicle, though thankfully, and miraculously, there were no injuries. All the moreso because she had an approximately 12-year-old girl with her. I've very, very glad the poor child's stupid, impatient imbecile mother didn't get her killed!
My seatbelt didn't even lock, and I never budged from the seat at all. Had the bumper not bent into my steer tire, I could have driven away immediately. Her big badass SUV went to the junkyard on a rollback.
I'm thinking that if I ever hit something hard enough to jiggle my seatbelt into locking, the seatbelt ain't gonna save me. So I mostly wear it just to avoid getting a ticket.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:32:16 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

If they're so safe, why don't we require them for kids on school buses?
Have a nice week...
Trent

That has always mystified me.
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:22:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

So...are you still holding to your above statement?
Have a nice week...
Trent
(Doug Miller)

he
him, is

The
wear
sharing the

is
In high mass vehicles, the G's experienced in almost all crashes are minimal. With a busload of little one, if there was a crash that involved a need for rapid evacuation, one bus driver would not be able to help them all out of seatbelts rapidly enough.
The static's for bus riders safety is so good, there has not been a need for seatbelts, vs. the negatives of seatbelt wearing.
--
Jim in NC

That's MY argument. That's why *I* don't wear one.
Cops never bought my argument, however.
P.S. We just had a school bus accident just a few miles from my home. The bus was broadsided by a semi.
At least a dozen of the kids were thrown into the roadway...the bus was pretty much torn in half. The kids that remained inside the bus were thrown everywhere, of course.
Miraculously, no one died...probably only because of the stream of helicopters that transported them to area hospitals...the closest one about 20 miles away.
Have a nice week...
Trent
> If they're so safe, why don't we require them for kids on school

Where I worked a few years ago we made the inserts for the bus seats. They are designed differently that a car. Inserts in the seat are designed to cushion in an accident, unlike the steering wheel or dashboard of a car.
More often that you can imagine, passengers in an auto or pickup truck are ejected and killed after by the impact of the ejection. Had one near us where a lady got run over by her own car when it whipped around after she was ejected. School buses do not have doors that to open at each seat.
If you take the time to study the facts, investigate the design, you will find there are may differences in the effects of a crash when comparing a bus and car. I can just imagine 35 kiddies whipping seat belt buckles around. Or the driver trying to unbuckle them to evacuate after a minor mishap. As for the bottom line, it would be cheaper to put a belt in a seat rather than the engineering and materials now used. It is not a cost, but rather a safety factory. Ed
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:44:11 -0400, "Joe28"

He was right. Safety should be a matter of personal decision.
When I was a kid, you just got on your bike and rode away...and had a good time. Now...you've gotta wear a helmet in many cities.
And air bags have probably killed as many people as they've saved.
Have a nice week...
Trent

Yep, same here. Been a *long* time since I was a kid...

[snip accident story]
I already had a bike when I bought one for my son, along with a helmet. I bought a helmet for myself too (my first ever, at about age 33) -- and use it every time. How could I tell him it was important for him to wear a helmet, if I didn't wear one too?
Doug Miller wrote:

Seems like the same here, but I'm not even old enough to start bitching about how bad I feel yet. Since everybody I know is 20 years older than I am, I guess I never will be. :)
(I'm 31.)

I already had a bike too, incidentally, but it was pretty ratty. I caved into the temptation to buy one of those new fangled jobs with the bouncy suspension and the fancy shifters. The big, squishy seat didn't hurt either, now that I think about it. Evidently I didn't have testicles the last time I rode my old bike. ;)

Yeah, well, there *is* that indeed. I'm not being a very good role model. Consider me shamed.
I had you figured for 16.

"Trent" wrote:

That's exactly how I lost an uncle, he was walking home on Christmas Eve, slipped on a patch of ice, fell backwards, hit his head, died three days later.
Helmets are optional for adults here in Ohio. Every time I see a motorcyclist without a helmet, I think,"Oh, look, another organ donor!".
ARM - I ride an American made bike, a Honda!

Just had a young kid in a nearby city who got killed riding his motorcycle. He was wearing his helmet. He was hit from behind by a drunk driver.
Its interesting the politics involved in measures that jeopardize our freedoms. Helmets can certainly help protect us. We should require them of anyone who rides in a car...along with shoulder restraints and air bags.
Where do we stop?
Have a nice Labor Day weekend...
Trent

Yep -- here in Indiana, we call 'em donorcycles.