blade dimensions for a stanley #80 blade

so I got a sad bastard cabinet scraper on ebay... http://cgi.msn.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item262106706 no blade. no problem, I have some sawblade stock I can cut one out of. anybody out there have this model and willing to take a measurement or two and even possibly post some pix over on ABPW? thanks,     Bridger
Check out these guys. http://www.stanleytools.com/xhtml/literature/RepairPartsCatalog0304.pdf I believe part no you're looking for is 28-008 current price $3.95. Just got a fence from them for my no. 78 plane I got from E-Bay. I was surprised to find Stanley still carries it.

Kelly Shamash wrote:

It really does make you wonder when some muckety-muck/higher up at Satanley will wake up and shout, "Hey! Those aren't garage door openers, get rid of that division!".
UA100, also surprised to see parts for the Marsh picture frame miter box still available...
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 07:36:15 GMT, "Kelly Shamash"

yeah, I need a 78 fence too. and some tape measure parts. and some other stuff. good link. thanks     Bridger
Bridger wrote:

Wow! Doncha love it when shipping dwarfs the sell price? A No. 80 for under $10, not bad.

The blade in mine measures 2 3/4". John Walter notes the blade width as 2 3/4". I'm gonna say, 2 3/4".
Now, do it have the thumb screws?
UA100

I figure what worked on this one was the combination of rust, missing blade and (I suspect) inflated shipping. the opening bid was $2, and it sat there for several days without a bid.
note that buying a blade from stanley will be much the same- 4.95 shipping for a 3.95 part. buying the blade would more than double my investment in this thing.... ; ^ )
although lookins further down I can see a few other items that I do need. looks like an order in to stanley for repair parts is in order.

thanks. are these supposed to have a thin flexible blade or a thick one? any chance you could mike it?

from the pictures it looks like it does. the ends of them can just be seen poking through the body. what condition they and the cap are in is anybody's guess.

Bridger wrote:

Current GarrettWade Satanly Made In England price is $34.90 plus shipping. You have a ways to go and that one would arrive all brite and shiney and there would be all the work going into it to make it look like a user.
A'yup, you're $$$ ahead.

Well garsh Bridge, I'm just sitting here with one of those "one revolution equals an inch" pissy little (and plastic (plastique David/Luigi) to boot) dial calipers. Let me see if I can get lucky and it'll come to a "real world" fraction of an inch.
Wait here while I clean the pubic hairs off it.
OK, in the plane itself is the remains of a Sweetheart scraper that I can only assume was stock/the right blade. It's measuring out at 3/64" thick. I'll leave it to you to convert fractions to decimal to gage (gauge David/Luigi).
By the way, all my other "bought from store" scrapers measure 1/32" thick.
I'm gonna postulate that onna 'count of the fact that this scraper, the No. 80, takes a 30 degree bevel before burnishing that the thicker scraper is what you are looking for???
I'm also betting some NeanderBubba has a Web page somewhere that goes into all of this. In the mean time it's fun to chat it up.
UA100

yabut... if I buy one I'll still have that pile of scraper stock sitting there on the shelf.....

um... what WERE you doing with it?

so it's sounding like stanley meant it to have a somewhat thicker blade.

suspect so. now out to the shop to measure what I have....

yep. this is my first real scraper plane. I'm enjoying the process, hopefully I'll enjoy using the thing as well.

Bridger wrote:

sigh...
Calibration???
That's what I'm thinking.

You mentioned old saw blades? The Disstons with the real blonde handles that are rounded over just enough to ensure a blister or two anytime you use them, right? In other would, the wheat shafted apple handled saws are off limits???

I was just digging 'round one of the rat holes and besides the No. 80 I've been chatting with you about it looks as though I've got another. The sole on the other is slightly different, has a curve when viewed in plan. Anyway, had I known you were on the prowl I'da probably sent it to you as a freebie. Gotta make an offering to the Gods and all.
sigh...
UA100

is Susan aware of your... um... "calibration" activities?

I have thicker and thinner. prolly make one out of the closest I have and try it out.

when I bought this place the shop was literally hip deep in junk. most of it was trash, but there were a few goodies buried in there. the old guy liked to tinker, and one of his things was small scale commercial sharpening. there were a number of worn out belsaw machines and related miscellanea. there were a couple of saw blades one of which was an untoothed blank branded belsaw. I've made one scraper out of it already and it works well for that. it's a little thinner than the stock blade for the 80 seems to be but might be fine.
the nice old handsaws are definitely off limits.

I see those on the bay also. I think that was an earlier version.

perhaps I could trade you something for it. I'm on a roll....

    Bridger
Bridger wrote:

I'll have my people contact your people.
UA100