Blade Change Jet 16" planer

Earlier I posted my experience putting a new Jet JWP-160S 16" planer together. Several on the WREC warned that blade changes with the motor above the access plate might be a problem. I just finished my first blade change and it was pretty easy. The access cover had 4 screws and the dust port has 3 lower screws that have to be removed. One of the cover screws is partially under the motor, but it was no problem. Once the cover is off, I had to remove a plastic deflector shield held by 3 screws. Two of the screws had to be loosened with an open-end wrench due to the motor, but there was penty of room. The cutter head is toward the outfeed and there was plenty of room accessing the blades from the backside. Loosened the 5 gib bolts on the 1st blade and the springs lifted it up. There is plenty of room to lift the blade out with finger tips on the ends of the blade. A little cleanup and the new blade (Jet) slipped in. I pushed it down, compressing the springs, till it stopped against 2 jack screws. Snugged up

2 of the gib bolts and checked with the guage.....perfect. Tightened the gibs and did the same for the next 2 blades. No adjustments were required. That might be a different story after I change to blades that have been sharpened, but the jack screws seem to make that easy. Total time was about 1 hour. Next time should be faster. Won't have to read the manual 10 times for each step......Can't be too carefull. The new blades cost $155! Yikes

Jim

Reply to
Woodhead

It looks like those knives run $99.99 on Amazon... Are these the right ones? Jet 708814 Knife Set for 16" Planer

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Won't have to read the manual 10 times

Maybe next time it will only take 59 minutes. LOL... Practice makes perfect.

I was watching a MiniMax combination machine video. They showed how to change out the 3 double edge disposable 16" blades on the planer/jointer. Tap the gib with a board a couple of times, and simply slide the blade horizontally through a small hole in the side of the planer. To replace, slide the blade back through the hole under the gibs and move to the next blade and then the next. THAT's IT!!! The first time you turn the planer on the centrifugal force wedges the gibs against the blades in perfect alignment.

Reply to
Leon

Why did you change the blades so soon?

Reply to
Frank Drackman

I love the Tersa head on my MiniMax. Changing the blades is quick and foolproof. No jigs or magnets.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

The way I read it, he bought an extra set to use while the other set is sent for sharpening, not that he's completely replacing the first set. Makes sense if you don't have your own Tormek or suitable jig.

Note how he referred to how it might be different when he puts sharpened blades back in, i.e., when the original set comes back slightly narrower.

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

Life is tough.... :~) How long do those blades last you. I was kinda surprised that they put disposable blades in that machine, although if you pay to have your blades sharpened I suspect the replacements may be a wash. I resharpen mine and disposable blades would therefore be more costly to me.

Reply to
Leon

I have not kept track of blade replacement but it has been a long time since I changed them. I have to call MIniMax tomorrow and order a few sets.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

That is also a question I am asking. I ran about 250 board feet of cherry (rough) through it and the blades were definitely getting dull.

I ran another 250 through on the replacement blades last weekend and had the same result. Is the problem with the lumber or is it the blades?

Reply to
Woodhead

Jim responds to John,

Thats the correct part number. I was had by Jet. I ordered them direct. Guess I had better shop more.

Reply to
Woodhead

Bummer... I've also found that knives for jointers and planers can often be had from other companies (e.g., Freud sells jointer knives) and can often times be had for less than "factory" knives.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin