Black Walnut

We have a 30-40 ft tall, 12"-14" diameter black walnut tree in our yard. Due to some yard reno's the tree may come down. Obviously this is not a firewood tree.

Getting it down is not a problem, what to do with it after that is... any suggestions on milling, drying etc.?

Cheers, David

Well... by the time you get through the sapwood, you might have 10" of nice walnut-looking walnut, and it's a yard tree which many sawyers won't touch due to possible metal content.

You could contact Woodmiser to see if any of their customers are in your area and have signed up to be contacted in just this situation. You won't get a heck of a lot of lumber out of it You could contact Woodmiser to see if any of their customers are in your area and have signed up to be contacted in just this situation. You won't get a heck of a lot of lumber out of it. If the tree can be dug out, you may have some interesting wood down into the roots.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I agree. In my experience, most walnut trees that size, especially ones that are urban and not wild,will have at least half of their diameter as sap wood. Not usually worth the effort. You won't know for sure untio you cut it down. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

The roots and such might be good for turning and need to be cut accordingly. The trunk might be good for lumber.

But there are several ways to prep, you can try to dry the log sections. Treat the ends with something like "Anchorseal" and let them dry for years.

You also could slab the wood and stack it. I've had reasonable luck with the following method. Cut the boards into 4/4 or 5/4. Start with putting cargo straps down, then put some pallets down. Stack the wood, well stickered, on the pallets. Then put pallets on top and then bind the entire assembly with the cargo straps. This puts pressure on the wood and reduces curl, warp, etc.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg