Black satin finish

Want to put a smooth flat black finish on mdf or poplar molding. What do I need to do to keep the grain (of the poplar) from showing through the black finish?
Thanks Mike B

Fill the grain with drywall mud, sandable auto body primer, bondo glaze, etc...
If I wanted ultra smooth moldings, I'd investigate PVC plastic molding.
Barry

Generally Poplar needs no preparation other than sanding. It is a preferred wood to paint. Put on a primer coat and sand smooth then follow up with a coat or two of satin paint.
also a little painters trick is to use flat black oil paint then topcoat with satin poly looks like lacquer

"fsteddie" <epearlatprexardotcom> wrote in message

For a "satin" finish?