Black Marks from computer monitor

I recently put a computer monitor on top of an oak desk for about a week and when I removed it there are black marks where the rubber feet were. I can't tell if the marks are just in the finish or have worked their ay into the wood. I tried lightly rubbing the spots with mineral spirits and then denatured alcohol and neither had any effect at all. Any tips on what else I can try before I sand and refinish the top?

Reply to
mlorah

A pencil eraser. If the finish is glossy, the eraser may dull it.

Reply to
dadiOH

Thanks for the tip, but the eraser didn't even touch it. Any other thoughts?

Reply to
mlorah

VMP naptha would be the next step after mineral spirits and denatured alcohol. You could also try a product like Goof-Off, but I believe a major component is naptha.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I have seen and done the same thing. The desk manufacturer told me that the rubber used on the feet degasses something like formaldehyde until it is a few months, maybe a year old.

Checking with others in the office furniture biz, I found the same thing.

Basically, they told me I was screwed as nothing they could do or recommend that would take out the feet marks since it was now "in" the finish. BTW, mine was a small printer.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

If that is the case,(it is in the finish), you have nothing to lose by trying a Mr Clean magic eraser, WD40, or Mayonaise.

Reply to
RayV