Black Locust

Just wondering if anyone has used Black Locust in any projects? (outdoor or indoor) I have 10 cords lined up and I'll mill any logs that are good and everything else will be firewood.

Reply to
Todd

I've heard Balck Locust referred to as the poor man's teak. Good for outdoor projects. Could be some valuable firewood.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280

May be poor man's teak, also premier fence post material as far back as I can remember, another sign of it's excellent outdoor longevity.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

It is the best firewood there is. Burn it!

Reply to
Toller

I just made a bed out of Honey Locust and it is a great wood to work with, very strong and it works and finishes nicely. I also got some Black Locust mixed in and it appears to be similar.

The biggest thing to be aware of (based on my experience) is that the color isn't very consistent even among wood in the same log. Also, the neither the Honey or Black accepted stain well. I did manage a consistent tint with dye though.

If you want to see some EXTREME coloring, try a bit of lye/water mixture on the board. The colors came out between a cherry red, black, and flouresent yellow.

Jim

"Todd" wrote in news:pC_gc.23658$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Reply to
Jim

top of mortising machine - first image here

charlie b

One our local wood experts was very high on black locust. It is quite strong and still light. It should be valuable for construction if pieces were large enough. I have used it on a few small projects and found that it was esy to work with and finished well.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline