Black Limba

I've got a good bunch of black limba that I plan on turning into a cabinet top. It's nicely figured, including some worm-holes that add a certain character to it. My question is, what to fill the holes with? I'd like them to still show, just not be able to drop little crumbs & such into them. Lots of layers of poly, maybe? I'm concerned about it not drying, though.

Any ideas?

Thanks, PK

Reply to
PK

I would use some laminating epoxy, if you can get your hands on some. Be tough to justify buying it for the amount you need though.

Reply to
Toller

Any place that sells West System epoxy should have kits as small as one (1) qt.

Think they use black epoxy to fill voids in mesquite.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, norm had an episode on this. He had to buy the epoxy clear and add a black powder. It looked like it all came from epoxy heads, including the powder. And I think the powder is available in all sorts of colors.

He mixed up the powder, resin, and hardener all at once and pourded it into the cracks and voids in the mesquite. Sand it down after drying I guess, I'd worry about planer knives. It looked great.

For something as small as a worm hole, you may have to inject it if it's too thick.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

You can buy liquid epoxy colors that get added to the resin. I buy black in 1 qt cans.

BTW, 1 qt is probably enough to do a 55 gal drum of resin.

A little goes a long way

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett"

For small jobs I just color it with laser toner. The left over from one empty cartridge will last me a lifetime. Yep, it goes a long way.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

lol toner sets up in the presence of heat. I wonder if that has any effect on the process. You could mix varying degrees of the three magic colors of laser toner and get any color you want. I've thought about making tile table tops using this instead of grout.

brian

Pounds > "Lew Hodgett"

Reply to
brianlanning