Black & Decker bought Delta and Porter Cable???

I hope this isn't true as B&D seems to run all it touches into the ground (its own name, ELU, Quantum). Is this deal finalized?

Black & Decker: The chevette of tools. *sigh* This SUCKS! I *LIKE* Delta.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. B&D didn't buy the others because they weren't profitable, they were just making a bit less profit than the other divisions of the seller's company. Let's see how it plays out.
Bob
Done deal.

I guess this is only bad news if B&D allows quality and ruggedness to degrade (I'm SORELY tempted to add "to their level") in order to maintain a price point.

Recent posts indicate Delta was already degrading quality all by themselves (referring to the early offshore built Unisaws).
Bob
Bob wrote:

I'm curious. The whole Unisaw is made off shore? Parts and pieces are made off shore?
UA100

Iffen it was me - I would buy me a big barge, and load it up with all sorts of slave/prison labor and anchor it about 190 miles offshore. Captive workforce - but "Made in the USA".
Now if I can just find an extension cord long enough.
A sad sad day indeed. http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e '6&pc2031
As Henry Ford figured out, if you make a tool ((car) that lasts forever, why would your customers need to buy additional copies from you. Therefore you make tools that fail quickly and you can now sell that same customer another one. Now excuse me while I go and find a crying towel.

I think its a done deal. Dewalt still seems to be doing well under them.
Bob

Yep, according to Pentair's web site, the deal was closed several weeks ago.

Craftsman biscuit jointer is made by Dewalt, which is owned by B&D as their "upper end" line... We have experimented with drugs in the past and he could be BS'ing me... (we, unlike a past president, never exhaled)
Old news. Was in all the papers.
UA100
So DeWalt and Delta are owned by the same company? Where's the DOJ antitrust division when you need them?

Buck Turgidson asks:

Probably still scratching their heads over the Jet/Powermatic scramble.
Charlie Self "If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken