Bisquit/plate joiner

Page 1 of 2
I had a Lamello. Somebody lifted it from a job site a few years back. Some projects I am planning will use biscuits, a fastening method I like (only for some things and in this case I can't get close enough to use a slotcutter in a router) dammit, I just visited Lamello's website and they have this flush milling machine that is giving me a severe fit of the 'wanna's'. http://www.lamello.com/english/cantex_e.htm
I digress.
The Top20 Lamello is stupid money for the use it is going to get. The Classic Lamello (like the one that went missing) is still over 300 smackeroonies U$...still too rich for my blood. I Googled this question, but most forums talk about pocket hole vs plates. Soooo... this what I have so far: Ryobi.. way too much wobble in the sled. Porter Cable.. The fence is more complicated than it needs to be. Freud.. straight forward, but ...... you know.. not a Lamello...dammit.. I am NOT buying a Lamello... Okay.. so what else is out there? What have you fine gentlemen (and maybe a few ladies) used and liked? Under U$ 300.00?... make that 200
Thanks in advance, I remain sincerely yours,
Rob
Common sense is not common (Voltaire)
...how close is that new red of the Lamello colour to my Milwaukee tools?? would it clash?
I've only used the Dewalt and the PC and like the PC a lot more (and I typicially don't like PC). Worse part is, I own the Dewalt and use the PC in my buddies shop.
I've only used Dewalt and PC and I like the PC a lot more than the Dewalt, and I typically don't like PC. The worse part is that I own the Dewalt but only use the PC in my buddies shop.

I have one. I haven't had difficulty dealing with the fence.
-j
Nothing complicated about the PC fence; can't imagine what you are referring to. Anyhow, I think their idea of putting the handle on the fence is great. On other machines I ignore the handle hand hold the fence.

I have the DeWalt and my next one would be either the Lamello or the PC. The DeWalt is OK but not always very precise, because the fence is quite flimsy. I usually don't use the fence but the base but sometimes you have to. I'm a cookie monster: I use hundreds of biscuits a month.
--
mare

I have had both PC's the later one with the "complicated" fence is really a no brainer and much more versatile than the like competition. However probably none are to be compared to the Lamello. I would not let the fence on the PC scare me away.
I've only used the Dewalt and the PC and like the PC a lot more (and I typicially don't like PC). Worse part is, I own the Dewalt and use the PC in my buddies shop.
I have had the PC biscuit jointer for a little over a year now. I used to have the snobbish attitude that "real woodworkers don't need bisucits". While I still stand by this theory, I absolutely love my biscuit jointer and use it all the time.
I looked at various models quite a bit before I bought, but decided the PC had the best features for the money. One of the best things about it is the 2" face frame cutter that comes with it for using really small biscuits. I use this feature quite a bit for small projects.
Rockler has a good sale on this model at the moment as well. (If it hasn't expired yet.)
--
Joe in Denver
my woodworking website:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 22:27:25 GMT, "Chuck Hoffman"

The DeWalt has never done me wrong.
However, the PC does the FF biscuit, the DeWalt doesn't.
Barry
get a Lamaliemo.

If you mean "Lamello", he started his post by saying that he had one and it was ripped off..

Hey Rob, If your wants and desires lean towards a Porter-Cable ping me on the back channel. St. Soozan gave me a Classic C2 for my birthday and the P-C has been in hibernation ever since.
Oh! And I feel your pain.
UA100 snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com
<snip>

I've only used the craftsman/dewalt (we won't count the $40 HF that I bought to see if I liked biscuits) but it's been very good..
I like the weight and feel of it, and it seems accurate..
One of the features that I wanted and like a lot is the rack & pinion adjustment on the fence..

I just bought the PC with the $30 rebate from the Borg.
The FF biscuit was an inticement, the rebate the clincher.
It seems to take and hold settings accurately. I've never used Brand L, but for $700 dollars it better chill beer and walk the dog.
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:17:17 GMT, "U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles" <"Charles
The Porter-Cable 557 Plate Joiner is listed on the Lowe's web site for $147.20.
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productIda545-000041735-557
I went to Home Depot today and they matched the price. After tax and rebate, it will cost me $128.
I have the Freud and I am quite happy with it.

I've got a Freud too. It's over ten years old and always kind of noisy and dusty, but it's worked fine for what I've needed it to do. My only minor regret is that it doesn't have a dust collection bag. Suppose I might be able to adapt something, but for the few times I use the thing, it's not worth the effort.
wrote in message

I have the freud also. It does sound like a coffee can full of marbles when it's running, but at the time, it was the only cost effective option. The dewalt looks pretty nice for the money.