Biscuits for a table top?

Page 2 of 2

That is true if you have jointed the faces, but closer biscuiting is useful when you haven't. Sure, that more a recommendation for proper wood preparation than for biscuits, but when your wood is wider than your jointer...
Well, Time for my 2 cents worth. I have done a couple hundred panels, using biscuits on every one. Most were cherry, but I also used walnut, myrtle, maple, alder, hickory, and oak. I never had any bulges, or dips from the biscuits. I place them 6 to 8 inches apart. On one table top that was 2 inches thick, I did a double layer. Biscuits do help reinforce a joint. I remember an article in Fine Woodworking that compared failure tests on joints. A butt joint was the weakest, but only slightly. Doweled, and biscuited, were a bit stronger, and mortice and tenen were the strongest. They may not be necessary, but they do add some integrity to the joint. I would never use them instead of a mortice and tenon. robo hippy
toller wrote:

Use a biscuit every 6" near the center. Yellow woodworker's glue will provide the strength. Allow a full day or two for the glue to fully cure before machining the top.