Biscuits and a Screen Door

Reply to
Steven Bliss

Hi All, I wanted some opinions on using biscuits in place of mortise and tenons on a screen door I plan to make using 5/8" redwood. Would double biscuits help? It is not meant to be "solid" and last forever but adequate.

Thanks,

Jimbo

Reply to
Crater

Did you mean 5/4 perhaps ? If your using 5/8 " redwood I think I'd be inclined to try something else .... such as half lap joints.

Lenny

Reply to
Lenny

If you want the strongest joint, use mortise and tenon. It's hard to beat, and a screen door takes a lot of beating. :-)

Reply to
Phisherman

Yes it is actually 5/8". That is what was available when I went to buy not shop for the lumber ;)

Also thanks for the tip on the glue.. Something I would have overlooked. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Crater

At 5/8" thickness, I'd use half-lap joints and some poly glue - like Gorilla. You'll need all the corner strength you can get and although a half-lap joint isn't woodworking elegance, it is one of the strongest joints you can use in this situation.

Reply to
Bob S.

Nope, do it right. Biscuits are great for alignment and for miters etc on boxes they may add strength, but for screen doors, M&T is the only way to go.

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Or drawpinned M&Ts.

Either would be magnitudes stronger than necessary. Would a bridle joint be up to the job? It's what I'm using for silkscreen frames, which must be durable yet quickly built. Simple task with a tenon jig.

Reply to
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Reply to
james

Below....

Good idea, I never thought of this one and I like the look of it.

If the stock is truly too thin to M&T then yes, a bridle joint would work, but it's going to give out in time if mechancial fastening is not included in the mix.

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

I would use pocket hole screws with glue on the joints. You can plug the holes if you don't want them showing. Kreg has the plugs too. See them at Lowes or Menards.

Reply to
Joe