Biscuits and a Screen Door

Hi All, I wanted some opinions on using biscuits in place of mortise and tenons on a screen door I plan to make using 5/8" redwood. Would double biscuits help? It is not meant to be "solid" and last forever but adequate.
Thanks,
Jimbo
It should work, but use some kind of water-resistant glue. You may have trouble with a double-bisquit in 5/8" material.

Did you mean 5/4 perhaps ? If your using 5/8 " redwood I think I'd be inclined to try something else .... such as half lap joints.
Lenny

Yes it is actually 5/8". That is what was available when I went to buy not shop for the lumber ;)
Also thanks for the tip on the glue.. Something I would have overlooked. Any suggestions?
At 5/8" thickness, I'd use half-lap joints and some poly glue - like Gorilla. You'll need all the corner strength you can get and although a half-lap joint isn't woodworking elegance, it is one of the strongest joints you can use in this situation.

If you want the strongest joint, use mortise and tenon. It's hard to beat, and a screen door takes a lot of beating. :-)
Nope, do it right. Biscuits are great for alignment and for miters etc on boxes they may add strength, but for screen doors, M&T is the only way to go.
Good luck Rob

Rob Stokes wrote:

Or drawpinned M&Ts.
Either would be magnitudes stronger than necessary. Would a bridle joint be up to the job? It's what I'm using for silkscreen frames, which must be durable yet quickly built. Simple task with a tenon jig.

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:31:28 -0700, "Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A."

Well, it looks like it will be the M&T then. Thanks for the comments.
Below....

How about using dowels?

I would use pocket hole screws with glue on the joints. You can plug the holes if you don't want them showing. Kreg has the plugs too. See them at Lowes or Menards.

forever