Biscuit jointers and prices

Page 1 of 2

Why is the US retail price of a dewalt and makita biscuit jointer approx. the same but up here in Canada the Makita averages $150.00 more expensive than Dewalt and almost impossible to find without special ordering?
Also I recently read a review on biscuit jointers and they listed the Dewalt as the worst in their out of parallel test, being out 0.017" and the Makita being perfect. So I have ruled out the Dewalt and want to here opinion on the porter cable vs. the makita. I can order the Makita or PC from a few online US retailers and have it delivered for around the price of a local Dewalt. Thanks.
I don't know about the retailing or stocking... But just want to mention about if getting the PC, be aware about the "Omen Shims" (did I spelled it right?). It's related to PC Type 2 plate joiner. I like my PC A LOT!
Chuck

I don't think the type 2 has been manufactured for at least 2 years.
Bob
Is there any chance a PC bought new at Home Depot could be a Type 2? How can I tell?

it

Hi Habbi, If memory serves, there should be a sticker on the outside of the package say the type that the machine is. YMMV. Later, Beej
"Beej-in-GA" wrote in message >

How
Also, the serial number plate on the tool will say "Type 3", IIRC.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

they are fixed. there are old threads in this conference that can be searched on google groups for details. I have a type 3 and it works fine.
Bob
Thanks for the information. I bought the PC at Home depot and it is a Type 3, I looked at one at another store (Home Hardware) and it was $80.00 more and it was a type 2.

made?
I bought a PC, it was out .010."
Took it to the PC repair facility, they said that it cannot be fixed...there is no adjustment for out-of-parallel in that plane.
They pulled a new one off the shelf, tested it. It was out "only" .005."
Walked out with that one.

"Mark Cooper" wrote in message

fixed...there
Damn, I'm impressed ... must really slow you down, mic'ing all those biscuits to those tolerances too, eh?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/06/05

Sorry, not my department. If you'd been paying attention here, you'd know that. If you're looking for bad electrical advice, you need to talk to someone else; if you like, I can suggest a few guys for you to ask.

I kinda like it. I regret that it bothers you.
I don't regret that enough to change it on your account, though.
My post, admittedly sharp and fully intended to be so, was a response to his post, where he apparently felt the need to chide me about being able to measure accurately.
Recall how he said, "must really slow you down, mic'ing all those biscuits to those tolerances too, eh?"
That sound like a snipe to you? Sure did to me.
I guess in the short few months I've been here, I've seen nothing but this kind of crap. This newsgroup is one big flamewar because people don't seem to be able to get along...too many people taking anonymous little shots at each other. Not too manly if you ask me. Ever seen a little dog barking like mad at a rottweiler...so long as one or the other is behind a fence?
And worse, I've participated in it too, much to my detriment. Not like me, but I hate to see rudeness anywhere. Including in me. I see someone else start it, I usually get in and finish it.
But I'm tired of it, and I'm tired of a lot of the participants around here. Too many of them spend too much time by themselves...no longer know how to relate to people...just their tools.
It's a shame, too. Usenet has the ability to be a great forum.
It's just that this one isn't. I've got better ways to get good information...ways that aren't so damn tiring.
Later on down the road, Mark Cooper

In article

You don't have a lot of experience with usenet, then?
This newsgroup is one of the most civil and helpul groups in existence.

I agree. By and large, this group is one of the few good ones. A lot of excellent ideas are being exchanged, a lot of laughs, unbridled silliness and some bullshit. Just like daily life.
If only we had a moderator.
*ducking*

If you weren't a fellow Canukistani I'd <Daffy>shthlap you shthilly.</Daffy>

Does this mean you are leaving us? Sad, how very sad. I keep telling these guys to lighten up and don't be so nasty, but they just don't listen. Now this, like losing a brother. It will change though, and when it does I'll have the moderator contact you so that you may return and participate. You will be missed by some, I'm sure.
Still upset about me takin' you to the hoop a couple weeks ago, huh Ed?
You're precisely the kind I'm talking about. Too much time in the shed, relate best to your tools (in your case, tool).
You don't work and play well with others; that's why you can't work for anyone else, and that's why you can't keep any of your "businesses" running for very long before you switch. You irritate one set of customers, figure you'll switch to another type business to get some fresh customers. But word gets out...
But here it is in a nutshell, and it's the cardinal sin of them all:
You're not funny, but you think you are.

Boy, you got me pegged right. After 15 years, I'm thinking of switching again in another five or six. You sure are very perceptive.

But I'm working on it. With your help I may recover some day. I appreciate you taking the time to point out my shortcomings (even left a pun there for you)
Thanks for helping to making not just USENET, but the world a better place.
wrote in message

Ed, he's 'gone' already, at least from 'here'.
Patriarch