Biscuit jointer glue?

Hi all, What the best glue to use with beechwood biscuits, and will ordinary PVA do?
--
Regards Ron...........

PVA
PVA will be ok, but a general yellow glue like Titebond II will generally provide a better grip :)
-- -- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book - Kreg Universal Bench Klamp - GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter - Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides - Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set - Triton Powered Respirator ------------------------------------------------------------
The best glue I have found is Yellow Elmers glue. Titebond drips too fast. Note we use about 10,000 biscuits a year, have tried other glues and always go back to yellow Elmers.
--
Rumpty

Rumpty wrote:

Did you really mean drips there? If so, I'm not clear on what you mean. I don't intend this to be a spelling flame--I can see where the flow characteristics could be an issue.

--
--John

If you are asking if Tightbond dripping is a problem, yes it can be as it will pour out without having to squeeze the bottle and can easily flood the cut with too much glue.
Titebond is too loose in it's formulation to be good in biscuit joints. Elmers has the correct consistency for glue application and joint fitting without the glue running down your pants.
--
Rumpty

Personally I don't use biscuits....not yet anyway. All I've ever seen Normie use is yellow glue. Cheers. Joe

PVA
Hi,
I was recently wondering the same thing. And with summer heat, want to use slower setting glue like Poly. Will Gorilla Glue work well with biscuits?
Thanks!!
Baalrog wrote:

ordinary PVA

|Hi, | |I was recently wondering the same thing. And with summer heat, want to |use slower setting glue like Poly. Will Gorilla Glue work well with |biscuits?
Since the biscuits require moisture to expand, theoretically speaking no. Unless you add water, which you might need to get the poly to cure anyway.
What's the matter with plain ole white glue?
I haven't tried white glue, but yellow is setting too fast. For poly, my plan was to apply glue to the slots, and then dip the biscuits in water before insertion.
Thankyou.
Wes Stewart wrote:

cure

Titebond Extend, with a longer open time. Or maybe slightly thin the yellow glue you've been using. Maybe by wetting the disposable brush before spreading.
Patriarch
Guys,
I've used probably used 200,000 biscuits, Yellow Elmers is the best I've found in 20 years. Assembly time is acceptable. I rarely have a failure of the joint.
--
Rumpty

Should work just fine. Keep in mind, though, that it'll make a foamy mess. But, nothing that a little elbow grease can't fix.
Brian.

it'll hold them fine, but in order to get them to swell and lock you'll need to wet the biscuits before assembly.
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in message

'course, if you do not IMMEDIATELY get that wet biscuit into both it's slots, it'll never fit...
PVA will do nicely. Watch it though, those bad boys will swell up with glue pretty fast. You need to be ready to put it together before you glue.

PVA
On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 12:20:37 GMT, "Baalrog"
My technique:
Dry assemble first, but don't push the biscuits in more than 1/4". Maybe you're smarter, but I'm a dumbass and I can't spend a day biscuiting without miscutting at least one in the wrong place so it won't assemble. It's a pain to discover this, but it's easier to find out with dry biscuits than wet.
Really cheap PVA - not even the posh woodworking stuff, just the basic PVA I buy in gallon cans.
Two glue bottles. One has a biscuit slot nozzle, the other has a roller. The slot bottle contains slightly diluted PVA, the roller bottle contains it at normal working strength.
Glue the slots first, roller the mating surfaces, insert biscuits and assemble.
Use the _white_ rubber mallet to knock things together on assembly. It's kept just for this purpose, and it's clean.
Never glue the biscuits. They swell before you get them in the slots.
--
Smert' spamionam

Thanks to All!
--