Biscuit joining expectations (final)

I couldn't find the old thread anymore but wanted to say thanks to all that advised me and let you know what happenend.
Recieved new 557 from Amazon. Got it out of the box. Cut a slot for a number 20. I was so confident, I went ahead and glued the slots and the biscuit and slipped it in - with seconds it was almost to snug to remove.
Much better. Somehow the original machine simply was cutting ovesize slots. It almost had to be runout, after taking a dial caliper to the blade tips and the biscuits (they seemed just fine) - I don't have a dial indicator.
Anyway - thanks again guys. Problem solved.
jim
Outstanding Jim. I'm glad you got it sorted and that your experience with Amazon was so good. I read an article last year somewhere (cannot remember where) that rated biscuit joiners. The editors liked the PC557 best but the users voted Lamello the best. At any rate, one measurement they focused on was how close to parallel the cutter ran relative to the motion of the body moving in and out. The cutter could be perfectly balanced with no runout. However, if its not parallel to the body moving in and out, it will cut an oversize slot. Maybe that's what was wrong with the one you sent back.
Were you testing with PC biscuits? I used mine some more this weekend, paying particular attention to how tight the biscuits fit after your message. They are not sloppy like you described on your first joiner, but they are definitely not snug. After glue is applied everything seems to hold alright.
Bob
Thats exactly what I have now Bob - not really snug, until the glue is there - then it's great. And yes, PC biscuits - In fact I have PC biscuits running out my @###. They told me not to bother to ship the fisrt free 1000 back, then sent the whole kit with another 1000 !!
jim