Biscuit Joiner Problem

Page 2 of 2

Let me change that last sentence.
The more things you can do with out measuring, the less mistakes you will make.
I agree Doug - All that is needed is for him to cut a slot, flip the board and cut the same slot. Is it the same slot or requires a thick biscuit.
Martin
Doug Miller wrote:

You do know that pretty much everybody except you guys in the US has been measuring things in metric for a Very Long Time... Right?
So... if you a) import or b) export you're pretty much required to use metric even if you pretend otherwise domestically... Right?

IIRC the 3/4" plywood is actually 23/32", that is very close to 18 mm, about 1/64" over. I have at least bought MDF on 3 different occasions where I still a piece laying around over the past 8 or so years. The MDF consistently measures out at. 97/128", that is actually wider than 3/4" and that does not convert evenly to metric.

I wonder why. That's a very odd number.

Dries out to 96/128

I don't think do. Some of the MDF is a couple of months old, some is 7+ years old, and some is in between.

Could have swelled from moisture, but I doubt they'd all swell at the same rate.

Isn't it! What I find odd is that over a 7 or so year span it is all exactly the same thickness.
But then it does come in 49 x97 inch sheets. LOL

Rules to follow.
You should always index off of the surface that you want to show. If your pieces are not exactly the same thickness and you index off the inside, the outside will show the difference and if you are using 45's for the corners the difference will be magnified. Indexing of the outside surface on 45's may be more difficult with the DeWalt. The PC fence is designed so that you index off the outer surface and use different thickness pieces
ALSO, do not use a table surface to index off of. The plate joiner fence should always support the machine when cutting in to the edge of a board. If you use the work surface to set the plate jointer on and there is debris or your stock or work surface is not perfectly flat the slot will not be cut accurately.
It is best when cutting a slot into narrow stock to clamp the stock down with the end or edge that is to receive the slot to hang over the end of the work bench. You do not want there to be a chance that the plate jointer is not being fully supported fully by the fence, for accurate indexing.
I was OK with most of your rules, but I disagree with the one below.
Yes... it's true that if the stock is slightly different thickness, using a flat table top as a reference edge "might" cause a problem, but using the fence on the jointer is also problematic.
Most folks will not hold the fence perfectly flat on the surface of the material that is being cut.
I think you are better off using the table saw top and fence as your work surface.
Assuming the pieces are "slightly" different thickness, put the "good" side face down and make your cuts.
This will insure that the finished version is going to match up a lot closer to flush.
The PC 557 has a "adjustable" fence and I suspect that you can very easily NOT get in back to the correct 90 degree angle, which would cause another whole set of problems.
Your mileage may vary.....
Leon wrote:

Is the fence adjustable for angle on that model DeWalt (Old ELU style)?

From the way I understand it you should be using some stop blocks to really hold the pieces in position. When you go to make the slots the force of the cutter will slide the piece even if your holding it really tight. Stop blocks will help in keeping it center where you want it.
Tim