Biscuit joiner

I have the choice between the DeWalt(DW682K), $198 or the PC(557) for $279. I'm leaning towards the DeWalt mostly because of the price.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Reply to
efgh

I have the DW682 and have no complaints. It does what I ask of it. I have never used the other.

Reply to
Stoutman

I have the PC 557 and highly recommend it. Your $279 price is pretty high - I bought mine at Home Depot for around $200 a 4 or 5 months ago.

At the time I was mulling the same two models, I ended up going w/ the PC for 2 reasons:

  1. It got almost universal praise in this current iteration (Type 3)

- previous versions had some fence issues. Make sure you end up with a Type 3 (or later?).

  1. As with most PC stuff, it looked like you could hurl it from the top of a building without harming it. I take care of my tools, but I always appreciate something built to live longer than me.

The only downside I've noticed is that it does make a bit of a racket

- kind of a metal on metal noise that I've read is completely normal for this model.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

The PC has the ability to also do the smaller, face frame biscuits, which is handy.

Reply to
Swingman

Canadian dollars I should have added.

Reply to
efgh

Don't try that with the 557 ... the fence is cast and cracks fairly easily when dropped, even while in the case.

I've known two 557's to do this. Mine was in the case and was dropped off a lower bench shelf, less than a foot off the floor. Not an expensive fix, but for a tool that you only take out just when you need it, it's a bummer to have a project waiting around on a part.

Reply to
Swingman

I have the PC and like it. Two reasons I chose it:

1) It has a 135* fence which registers the slot to the outside of a miter so any mis-alignment will be on the inside. Most other cutters register on the inside of the miter.

2) It has a beefy handle to grab and hold it steady while plunging the cutter, the others I looked at did not. In retrospect this is not all that important since I usually hold it inplace by the fence.

Reply to
RayV

In that case, I should clarify... When I compared the two, they were within $10 of each other. If you found the Dewalt for $198 Canadian - you may have found yourself a bargain. ;)

Reply to
Aaron

Makita

Reply to
Dave

I chose the PC because of the ability to use the smaller FF biscuits. I have used them more than I have the bigger ones and as far as I know PC is the only one that has the capability to cut the slots for them. bc

Reply to
bc

I don't know if you can get a good deal from Amazon.com in Canada, but the PC557 is on sale in the US through May 30 for $177.98 US with free shipping. I have a PC557 and have been very satisfied with it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Actually if you can get an older Type 1, the fence is fine. It was changed on the Type 2 to get out of a patent problem with DeWalt and the Type 3 fixed the Type 2 "patch".

Unfortunately none of the PC stuff is built as well as it was 15-20 years ago. I have had 6 PC tools over the years and the earlier tools were certainly better built than their replacements. PC has not faired well in recent years since it has fallen to "step child" status.

Yeah that is normal. My previous PC Biscuit Jointer, the model before the

557 was almost whisper quiet by compairison and belt driven.
Reply to
Leon

Sounds good but amazon.ca doesn't sell tools and amazon.com won't ship tools to Canada.

Reply to
efgh

Bummer. I did not know that. Good luck. Bisuit joiners are not rocket science. You are lookin at two models that have many satisfied customers.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

PC 557. Just do it.

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
Mike Berger

I got the Dewalt mostly because of the price. I didn't think I could justify the additional $80.

Thanks for the opinions.

Reply to
efgh

I have The Porter Cable unit. With ANY biscuit joiner, I would recommend practicing on some scrap wood first. This will reduce the need to replace project wood which can be pricey. I have used the smaller biscuits on some face frame work. I have never used any other biscuit joiner.

Reply to
goaway

I have had the predecessor to the DeWalt DW682K for 7-8 years. The newer one is very similar. I am very happy with mine.

Seems like I paid closer to $150 - but again, it was several years ago.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

That will be why Lamello always sell cardboard boxes full of loose biscuits then, with no sealed plastic bags in sight, just a bit of paper telling you about the other biscuits in the range.

The commonly promulgated "advice" to seal biscuits in triple hermetically sealed containers full of dry nitrogen and silica gel, taking them out 10 seconds before applying glue etc keeps being repeated but in my experience they only soak up moisture if you live in stinkingly humid environment aka a swamp or a jungle or spill your coffee over them.

I've no air conditioning in my house and live where there is around

6ft of rainfall per annum (6 inches of snow) with temperatures ranging from -10deg F to 90 deg F over the year and humidity ranging from 40 - 90+% I've a couple of loose biscuits close to my desk that have sat there for at least 2 years and maybe longer, the desk is 10 feet from the opening into the kitchen that regularly produces massive changes in local humidity. I just measured these old biscuits against a few selected at random from a new box that I bought earlier this year that have since sat in an air conditioned workshop. They are within three thousandths of an inch of each other in thickness. (0.157"- 0.160") ......but, and this slightly amused me, the thickest ones are the new stock.
Reply to
Mike