Biscuit joiner

Page 1 of 4
I have the choice between the DeWalt(DW682K), $198 or the PC(557) for $279. I'm leaning towards the DeWalt mostly because of the price.
Any opinions?
Thanks.
I have the DW682 and have no complaints. It does what I ask of it. I have never used the other.
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

In that case, I should clarify... When I compared the two, they were within $10 of each other. If you found the Dewalt for $198 Canadian - you may have found yourself a bargain. ;)

I don't know if you can get a good deal from Amazon.com in Canada, but the PC557 is on sale in the US through May 30 for $177.98 US with free shipping. I have a PC557 and have been very satisfied with it.
Bob

to Canada.

Bummer. I did not know that. Good luck. Bisuit joiners are not rocket science. You are lookin at two models that have many satisfied customers.
Bob
"Aaron" wrote in message

Don't try that with the 557 ... the fence is cast and cracks fairly easily when dropped, even while in the case.
I've known two 557's to do this. Mine was in the case and was dropped off a lower bench shelf, less than a foot off the floor. Not an expensive fix, but for a tool that you only take out just when you need it, it's a bummer to have a project waiting around on a part.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Actually if you can get an older Type 1, the fence is fine. It was changed on the Type 2 to get out of a patent problem with DeWalt and the Type 3 fixed the Type 2 "patch".

Unfortunately none of the PC stuff is built as well as it was 15-20 years ago. I have had 6 PC tools over the years and the earlier tools were certainly better built than their replacements. PC has not faired well in recent years since it has fallen to "step child" status.

Yeah that is normal. My previous PC Biscuit Jointer, the model before the 557 was almost whisper quiet by compairison and belt driven.
"efgh" wrote in message

The PC has the ability to also do the smaller, face frame biscuits, which is handy.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

I have the PC and like it. Two reasons I chose it:
1) It has a 135* fence which registers the slot to the outside of a miter so any mis-alignment will be on the inside. Most other cutters register on the inside of the miter.
2) It has a beefy handle to grab and hold it steady while plunging the cutter, the others I looked at did not. In retrospect this is not all that important since I usually hold it inplace by the fence.

I chose the PC because of the ability to use the smaller FF biscuits. I have used them more than I have the bigger ones and as far as I know PC is the only one that has the capability to cut the slots for them. bc

PC 557. Just do it.
Unless you're absolutely sure you'll want to use those tiny biscuits (w/ required blade change) that the PC can handle, go with the Dewalt. The vernier adjustment for the fence is really nice and beats the PC hands down.
efgh wrote:

I got the Dewalt mostly because of the price. I didn't think I could justify the additional $80.
Thanks for the opinions.
I have The Porter Cable unit. With ANY biscuit joiner, I would recommend practicing on some scrap wood first. This will reduce the need to replace project wood which can be pricey. I have used the smaller biscuits on some face frame work. I have never used any other biscuit joiner.
One important point about biscuits in general. They come in a sealed container. There is a VERY good reason they do. They will swell up with moisure if left out. This is made a whole lot worse in the summer and if you have a basement shop. If you buy the bicuits in bulk and do not go through them quickly, find a good way to keep them dry. I acutally used the plastic food saver vacum bag system. It does work well. Good luck with the Biscuit joiner, what ever the brand may be.

That will be why Lamello always sell cardboard boxes full of loose biscuits then, with no sealed plastic bags in sight, just a bit of paper telling you about the other biscuits in the range.
The commonly promulgated "advice" to seal biscuits in triple hermetically sealed containers full of dry nitrogen and silica gel, taking them out 10 seconds before applying glue etc keeps being repeated but in my experience they only soak up moisture if you live in stinkingly humid environment aka a swamp or a jungle or spill your coffee over them.
I've no air conditioning in my house and live where there is around 6ft of rainfall per annum (6 inches of snow) with temperatures ranging from -10deg F to 90 deg F over the year and humidity ranging from 40 - 90+% I've a couple of loose biscuits close to my desk that have sat there for at least 2 years and maybe longer, the desk is 10 feet from the opening into the kitchen that regularly produces massive changes in local humidity. I just measured these old biscuits against a few selected at random from a new box that I bought earlier this year that have since sat in an air conditioned workshop. They are within three thousandths of an inch of each other in thickness. (0.157"- 0.160") ......but, and this slightly amused me, the thickest ones are the new stock.
"Mike" wrote in message

Even here in humid Houston I take no special precautions and its never been an issue.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07