Biscuit joiner

Page 2 of 3

Bought my first PC in 1990, bought another PC several years later. Used the heck out of the first one and got away from using biscuits so the second did not see much action. Hardly remember where the current Plate Joiner is located as now I use the heck out of my Domino.
On 9/9/2010 1:36 AM, CW wrote:

557 ... use it often for miter joins and panels when making furniture pieces, but not that much when doing cabinetry.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

<waves hand> They work fine.
-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson
On 9/9/2010 1:36 AM, CW wrote:

I have one. It's handy, but I don't use it much. I don't build that many cabinets, but when I do I usually use mortise and tenon joints for the face frames (not just because it's stronger than biscuits or pocket hole screws, but because it's fun!) and tongue and groove joints to attach the face frames to the side panels.

DeWalt. Used for alignment when making panels. Also find it useful for cutting slots in table aprons for the table top clips.
scott

http://picasaweb.google.com/contrarian32/EndCabinet #
I used the PC 577 for the 45 joints. Alignment was my primary concern
Max

When I was doing more flat work I used them quite a bit.. Much better than dowels and more adjustment before the glue sets..
Started out with the harbor Freight model until I know I had a use for one, them My wife bought me the Craftsman, which at the time was a Dewalt with a different handle.. Nice to move up to a good fence which was also adjustable.. I used it mostly on a table mounted jig, great for drawer sides, etc.. Then, I got lazy and used glue and an air nailer.. lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On 9/10/2010 1:16 AM, mac davis wrote:
(snip)

Watching to much Norm?
Jim in Milwaukee

It's funny, Jim.. I've never watched or heard of Norm's show until I joined the wRECk.. I feel like I know him, though.. lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
CW wrote the following:

Why do you need a biscuit joiner? I just take two of them and press them together in my hands. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

What "is" a biscuit joiner? Must be something like a tennon receiver maker. Has any one really seen a tool called a biscuit joiner? LOL

WOW! I have now officially seen a major manufacturer call it's Plate Joiner a Biscuit Joiner. Call some thing by the wrong name long enough and it gets renamed.... Huh Mr. Jigsaw? ;~)

I've never used mine to put plates together.. Might have to try that..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Works good on cups and saucers too. ;~)

It has been called a biscuit joiner for 30 years..... hasn't it?

The only place I actually join biscuits is when I'm about to cover them with sausage gravy.
Max

It has been called a biscuit joiner for 30 years..... hasn't it?
MAYBE it has, I don't recall it being called a biscuit joiner by a manufacturere though until yesterday.
Maybe because the beach Biscuits need drying out in a microwave if not very dry. The idea is to have them thin enough to fit the slot and to expand with liquid glue to form a tight alignment wedge.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net "Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
On 9/10/2010 8:51 PM, Robatoy wrote:

What happens when you press two biscuit joiners together?
Max (just curious)

Depends on whether you put them together with sufficient force. If sufficient, your entire neighborhood gets vaporized.