Birds eye maple = PIA

First time using this stuff. I think the scraper was invented for BEM. Planed 'em down and the inside of the "eyes" just explode and leave little dimples all over the place. Sand sand sand, scrape scrape scrape, sand sand sand sand, scrape scrape scrape. Uggg.

I need a wide belt sander!!!

-Cheers

Reply to
stoutman

stoutman wrote: : First time using this stuff. I think the scraper was invented for BEM. : Planed 'em down and the inside of the "eyes" just explode and leave little : dimples all over the place. Sand sand sand, scrape scrape scrape, sand : sand sand sand, scrape scrape scrape. Uggg.

: I need a wide belt sander!!!

You can get a lot less tearout if you wet the board before planing or jointing it.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Would you settle for a drum sander? I've read both pro and cons about the usefulness of the drum sanders like the Performax and Delta units. Some say they bog down too easily, and the paper doesn't last long, so there's the expense and hassle of frequent changes. I'd sure like to try one of those babies out to see for myself how well they really do work. Not sure what corner of my shop I could place one, but I think I'd make room.

Dave

Reply to
David

"stoutman" wrote in news:Eol0f.77673$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Helps to dampen the wood before planing, and to have really sharp planer blades. And for the last bit, a very sharp handplane with a narrow set mouth works well.

It's a beautiful wood, worth the effort in my opinion.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Better be an oscillating variety. Birds burns and pops, too. You have the small eye stuff? more complicated than the big eyes, but should still be doable with a sharp planer and shear feed.

Reply to
George

I've had the Performax 22 x 44 for about 10 years. The best upgrade that I did to it was to rewire the drum motor to 220 volt. (If you do this, remember that the power feed motor runs on 110, so you need two power cords, one for the drum, and one for the power feed motor) It never bogs down and trips the circuit breaker any more. I use it mostly for smaller things. and take larger panels to a sanding service. They can do a few table tops, in 1/4 the time that I can on my smaller machine. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

I built a humidor out of BE maple, and the suggestions above were helpful, also if the stock will allow it try running the board through the planer at a slight angle, and take shallow passes. I was working with the small eye stuff and even though I did all of the above I still had small dimples, only noticeable at a steep angle or running your hand over it. After 4- 5 coats of finish, they were not noticeable. I love the look of BE maple especially with a contrasting wood like ebony. Mike

Reply to
doktrred