Birds eye freebeeQ!!

Face jointing some maple for my dresser drawers and Whamo! One of the pieces has birds eye all over the place! I fee like pulling it out and using it for something else. It seems a shame to use birds eye or a drawer back.?.

Reply to
stoutman

In my excitement I wrote kind of sloppy, sorry...

I am very tempted to pull it out and use it for something else.

How often do you find "heavy" birds eye in common maple stock??

That stuff is normally pretty expensive. I bought just enough maple for this job.

Reply to
stoutman

I agree with your sentiment, but as a practical matter, saving little scraps of wood is not a great idea. I have a whole shelf of them, and never seem to find a use for them. They are very pretty though.

If you need it for the drawer, use it for the drawer.

Reply to
Toller

Hopefully you have a hardware lumber supplier close to you. It would be a shame to waste birdseye on a drawer back (make that, it would be a travesty and a sin of the highest order ;-) ). If at all possible, get yourself another piece or pieces of maple and save the birdseye for something you can really use to show it off.

Mark & Juanita

My closest one is Wall lumber. Its 30-40 miles away. I find it very strange that High Point NC is the furniture capitol of the world, but lumber yards are scarce.?. Only 2 around me and both are the same distance away.

That's what I was thinking. I think I'm going to just say easy come easy go and use it in the drawer. I hope the woodworking gods can forgive me.

Reply to
stoutman

Please forgive my ignorance, I am humble, novice tool collector. What is this magnifiscent thing you call a birds eye? Where might a humble beginner find a picture of a birds eye?

Sumdume in Florida

stoutman wrote:

Reply to
sumdume

Check out one of my projects. I used birds-eye maple for the top of a table. Birds eye is a deformity? in maple that actually looks like a little birds eye.

stoutman

I have a whole bunch of rough cut maple and live just up the road from you. I'll gladly sell you a board or trade you for some of that birds eye if you want.

Which do you like better, Walls or The Hardwood Store?

Josh

Reply to
Josh

I decided to just go with it and I already glued them up.

I have been to both and I prefer Wall lumber mainly because the drive is a little easier with a bunch of lumber hanging out of the back of my SUV (straight down Eastchester). I think Wall Lumber is a little cheaper also.

Reply to
stoutman

Thanks for the offer though! :)

Reply to
stoutman

couldn't stomach the license). :(

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

It a drawer back, right? Go ahead and paint it too .. might as well really piss of the woodworking gods while you have a chance.

Reply to
Swingman

I think for an encore I'm gonna stain some cherry!

Reply to
stoutman

yep. It's Flash, sorry!

Reply to
stoutman

good idea... try a water based light oak... *barf*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

You can save it for the top of a keeping box or jewelry box or some such.

Believe it or not I have seen antiques where all the drawer sides and backs were bird's eye maple. At one time bird's eye was considered to be a defect.

There seems to be a similar attitutde today toward needle-scarred pine--you never see it in furniture where it shows. Yet needle-scars in softwoods are essentially the same figure as bird's eye in hardwoods!

Reply to
fredfighter

Just out of curiosity, what parts of the license did you find objectionable (beyond the general, "all obligations are upon you, the user, we ain't responsible for nothing, nowhere, noway regardless of whether it's our fault or not" software license nonsense)?

Mark & Juanita

Sun, Feb 5, 2006, 12:53am (EST+5) .@. (stoutman) doth pray in vain: I hope the woodworking gods can forgive me.

Thw Woodworking Gods are too busy wondering why you don't go back to whereever you got the maple, and see if you can't get some more of the fancy stuff. Fancy wood don't grow on trees.

JOAT Have a nice day! Someplace else.

Reply to
J T