Birch Plywood Weirdness

I bought some birch plywood at Home Depot. I cut it into

12 inch boards to make shelves, but I noticed that in one section the veneer was repaired with two short pieces of scotch tape! This seems really crappy, but I wonder if it's worth taking back. I can put the repair on the lower inside part of the shelves so it shouldn't be seen.

S.

Reply to
samson

Can't comment on whether they would take it back, doubt it, but it should be a lesson for you that you get what you pay for when it comes to wood from HD.

Reply to
Upscale

That's the Chinese crap they sell. The place I buy my wood has a sign up saying the plywoof they sell is not from China and won't make you sick and has not been "repaired" like the plywood they sell at the big box stores.

Reply to
Jimmy

Bought some 3/4 luan the other day for a job I got suckered into, and was surprised to find the rear and apparently interior plies were of birch. Been a long time, but I guess things as they are make luan an exotic now, rather than the cheapest of the cheap? Imagine the interior plies are from Russia, where there's a lot of birch, though the mill here sells its stuff to anyone with a buck, so it might be we bought our own back. Yes it was made in China.

Reply to
George

Take it back! Any wood that's not perfect should always be returned. I'm sure the store won't mind that you've already cut it.

Reply to
B A R R Y

We buy a lot of birch plywood for our vintage travel trailer restoration business and have found the stuff at HD useless. It will further deteriorate and delaminate after it has been finished. We currently pay $40.00 per sheet for good quality 1/4" birch at Timber Woodworking in Mesa, AZ. I wish I could find a source for 1/8" birch.

cm

CM

I did several projects last year that required a couple dozen sheets of

1/2" (ha!) plywood and several sheets of "OSB that were milled to looked like T&G siding. Most of it was delaminated at some point or another, but usually within the sheet. So, you couldn't easily tell you had a problem until you ripped the sheet. I bought this at Menard's, a "big box store chain in western Wisconsin. I used it anyway, because of a time crunch and my feeling that the application, sheathing an attic floor, wasn't all that critical. Anyway, the next time I was at that store, I complained to a pretty high level manager and he wasn't even surprised! I thought he'd be shocked, since I've used a fair amount of plywood over the years without ever having this de-lam problem. They did give me 1/2 my money back after I returned to the store with the receipts. But, I won't ever buy sheet goods from them again.

Pete Stanaitis

------------------

sams> I bought some birch plywood at Home Depot. I cut it into

Reply to
spaco

Reply to
B A R R Y

Ferd Farkel

I love the cull bin. Never leave without have a look.

S.

Reply to
samson