birch ply vs Baltic birch ply

Is there a distinct advantage/disadvantage to using the veneer core birch over the Baltic or Finnish brich for cases in kitchen cabinets?
Len
if you are talking the 12 mm stuff, isn't that a tad thin for a cabinet carcass (carcase)? How's 'bout using 5/8" material?
dave
Leonard Lopez wrote:

Baltic Birch comes in 1/8, 1/4" 1/2" and 3/4" that I know of.

I don't recall Aura having thicker stuff, but I COULD be wrong, Leon.
dave
Leon wrote:

Baltic Birch does come in 5/8", just not carried in most places
on wrote:

"Rick Samuel"

Absolutely, it is 11 ply material used by the die cutting industry to make temporary tooling.
Available in both Finnish which uses exterior glue and "Baltic" which is usually Russian and uses interior glue.
BTW, you learn this kind of stuff when your landlord is a die cutting house.
HTH
--
Lew

Baltic is veneer core, isn't it?
Do you mean lumber core, or just the difference in number of veneer plies? I like lumber core, because it's lighter and takes edge treatment better. I think it's still cheaper than Baltic birch, as well.

The advantage may be price. I bought 3/4" Birch plywood for $23.95 per sheet. 3/4" Baltic Birch will probably cost you more per sheet.
Baltic Birch comes in 5' square sheets. 25 square feet vs. 32 square feet for regular Birch veneer plywood.
The true Baltic Birch plywood tends to be without voids in the inner layers. The Baltic Birch is ALL Birch in all ply's.
I would opt for regular Birch 4x8 sheets of plywood if you are going to paint the cabinets.
The baltic birch I get around here has a lot more plys than normal plywoods and supposedly less voids. It also comes in 5' x 5' sheets and is quite pricey compared to normal 4' x 8' sheets of birch. I've used the Baltic for some jigs but the price would keep me from using it on bigger projects.