Bike Service Station ?

Hello,

I am looking for plans on making a bike stand (for servicing, not parking). Something that would lift the rear wheel up would be fine. When I googled it in this group I came up with a link for a "bike service station", but the link is dead. Does anyone out there have these plans or similar they wouln't mind reposting?

Thanks in Advance

Reply to
Bob in Oregon

Check out

is a picture of a simple, 2x4 frame that supports your bike frame off the ground. It looks like it would be easy to modify to make it more stable, if that were a problem. There is also a "plan" (scanned sketch) of the stand to download. Also check out
for bike repair stand plans) If you want to save time, though, and get on with real woodworking or biking, have you looked at nashbar.com and performancebike.com? They both have simple stands that lift up your rear wheel for $10-15 (not much more than the 2x4s and hardware, unless you have the scrap), and real stands that lift up your bike for $40-50. I still use the even cheaper method of flipping the bike over so it rests on its handlebars and seat, which has worked fine for me, but bending over would get tiring if I had to do a lot of repairs. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Thankya, brother!

Reply to
Bob in Oregon

Buy one. Since I bought my ULTIMATE stand (made in Canada), it has encouraged me to do maintenance I pushed aside for half a decade. The stand brings the bicycle up to eye level, so you can see into awkward places.

You want it up in the air so you can pull off the wheels. How are you going to do that on the ground?

If nothing more, a clamping stand assists you in washing your bike thoroughly. You can turn the bike upside down, for those nooks and crannys. It will set you back about $180. But, because my bike is a custom-made affair from England, it deserved good upkeep.

Ultimate stands are put on sale by the mail-order stores at least once a year. If you mountain bike, The TOPEAK is actually a better stand, but costs about $50 more. Many stands collapse, come with a carry bag, and can be tossed into a car trunk, so guys on a group ride up in the woods can share it.

Gary Curtis Los Angeles -- moving soon to Trinity County, Calif.

Reply to
extiger

Bob in Oregon wrote: Hello, I am looking for plans on making a bike stand (for servicing, not parking). Something that would lift the rear wheel up would be fine. When I googled it in this group I came up with a link for a "bike service station", but the link is dead. Does anyone out there have these plans or similar they wouln't mind reposting?

I just use an old stationary trainer that closes down on the axle of the rear wheel, and put it all up on the workbench. Rear wheel removal is a different story, but rarely so. I can pull the wheels and true them up in the stand, which I've outfitted with an articulating reference point. Tom

Reply to
tom

If you're going to do bike repair often then look into just plonkin' out the dough for a good repair stand. Clamp the frame and you can work standing or sitting, rotate the bike to any angle and, if you get the tool tray, have everything at hand you'll need.

If you want to buy the stuff bike shops use check out Park Tool

charlie b

(my son's been working in bike shops since he was 14. He's 28 now. Swears by Park)

Reply to
charlie b

I have a Park PCS-1. It works great on both a stndard bike and my recumbent. For around $120 (maybe cheaper on Ebay), it's worth taking the time ti build one. You'd probably have to buy the clamping mechanism anyway.

mmi

Reply to
Me myself and I

Suspending the bike with nylon straps, under the top tube at the saddle and under the stem and around the bars, works well for many jobs. It also offers height adjustment with different length straps. Cheap too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Jim Artherholt snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Jim Artherholt

I guess this works OK for you, but one of the features of a good stand is that it doesn't move as you're working on the bike. I think I'd be chasing the bike all over the place with this setup.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

I don't know what model I have, but I bought the Park stand about 10 years ago. The only thing I changed was to have a buddy weld a small 3/4" steel plate to a 4 ft x 4 ft piece of 1/4" steel plate. I then mounted the stand to that. That puppy doesn't even think of moving when you rotate the whole bike.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

I'm curious as that what kind of service you're planning to do. I have a fairly complete set of bike tools (stand, cone wrenches, headset wrenches, chain breaker, bottom bracket remover...the list goes on). For me, a small subset of the work I do would be easily accomplished by something that just brought the rear wheel off the ground. I have the Park Tool stand, but the one shown is the first link Andy posted looked like it would do an OK job. The only think I would do differently if I was to build one from wood would be to figure a way to mount it to the garage wall rather than have it freestanding. When you rotate the entire bike or when you're just orking on it, it's not that hard to push the whole thing over.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree