Bigger Wheel for Roll-around sheet goods cart

Page 1 of 2
I made a roll-around cart using 5" swivel casters. It is sorta like the borg ones, except has wheels on each corner of a 2' x 8' platform that has a center T-vertical support that holds in place 4 (or more) 1/2" conduit rods that keep the sheets from tipping over. The concept seems to work well, but when loaded (about 20 sheets), "roll- around" becomes nearly stationary. I had some 5" x 2" wide swivel casters. They have an outside "tire" that is rubber-like. Even with all wheels aimed in the same direction, it's extremely taxing to move.
Would 10" pneumatic tires make a difference? HF has them for about $15 each. I'd imagine 20 sheets is pushing 1500#. That is fully loaded though.
?

10" would make a difference, but I don't know about pneumatic. If they would flatten a bit it would be even more difficult to move. If you check McMaster or Grainger you'll see the loading recommendations. They will be considerably more than $15 though.

Why do you want to roll around 20 sheets of plywood?
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum

20 sheets of 3/4" ply. I was going to ask, but I thought better of it. ;)
The 10" pneumatic tires at HF that I buy for carts are on sale for $3.49 this weekend only (ok, until they put them on sale again, that is). They are rated for 300 Lbs I believe and have a 5/8" bore.
On 01/16/2011 12:32 AM, woodchuck wrote:

On 1/16/11 8:24 AM, Michael Kenefick wrote:

Those HF tires are hit-n-miss and I wouldn't want to find out if I got good or bad ones after they're holding up a 1/4 ton. :-) They tend to leak over time and it sure does suck to have to inflate them every time you want to move the cart. Spoken from experience. :-)
--

-MIKE-

I'd think that the spoken from experience in that situation would be followed by a :( R
On 1/16/11 3:15 PM, RicodJour wrote:

At the time, yes. But we can all laugh in hindsight, right?
--

-MIKE-

woodchuck wrote:

Nice drive-by. My sheet goods are leaning against the wall behind the paint shelves in a 1' space left for that purpose. If I could roll them around, there is nowhere to put them.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

What is your floor?
Assuming a hard floor (concrete or plywood) a harder caster tire is going to help - diameter is plenty big at 5", but the "rubber-like" tire is doing you in, I suspect. A very hard rubber/plastic or plain steel/iron wheel makes for less rolling resistance. Heavy mill carts are nearly always noisy cast iron wheels, and roll easily with thousands of pounds on them. If your wheel allows, you might just want to remove the "tire" part. Putting on pneumatic tires will be going the opposite direction...

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:01:50 -0500, Ecnerwal

Untill you come to a bit of crap on the floor that stops the iron wheel dead in it's tracks, while a rubber tire deforms over it and keeps rolling.
On 1/16/11 3:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If you build a floating platform, you can flood the shop and those little pieces of scrap will just sink to the bottom and the wood cart will float, freely above.
Is it that difficult, people?
--

-MIKE-

load tons on that thing and just push it around easily.
It was noisy as hell though.

Just put a skirt (bicycle inner tube, perhaps) and an air fitting on it, and hook to the compressor when you want to move it. You need about 0.65 PSI to float 1500 lbs on a 2' x 8' base - unfortunately a bit over typical shop vac blowing pressures (and likely too much leakage for most air compressors to keep up with.) Might be a sweet spot with a venturi, but probably loud as all get out.
Then again, hard wheels and a broom work quite nicely.

On Jan 16, 5:01pm, Ecnerwal

That would be the communist woodshop way of doing things - redistribute all of the sawdust on the floor equally all over the shop!
<...snipped...>

Take a look on youtube for some that kids built using leaf blowers.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Shop Cart Curling!!
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 02:04:54 -0800, "Lobby Dosser"

I think what stymied him was when he -heated- the shop.
-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ya, but think of the neighbors ...
--
"He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! "
Brian's Mum
On Jan 16, 4:20pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Bigger tires have less trouble rolling over bumps, little bits of scrap, etc. 20" mountain bike wheels would be perfect.
They seem like they'd be well up to the task of hauling 20 sheets of 3/4 ply:
http://tinyurl.com/2c6t9mk