Bigger Band Saw

Page 1 of 3

Hi All, So starting to plan another large cast iron purchase, and thought I would pole the group for thoughts.
I am thinking of replacing my Grizzly G0555 14" Bandsaw. There are a couple reasons for this. I have been less than satisfied with the purchase since uncrating and setting the guy up. It works well, but for a decent amount of my needs it feels somewhat wimpy. I have a bunch of 8/4 african hardwoods that I attempt to book match in virtually every project. I have found this saw to be less than ideal for this use. I realize I am asking alot of the saw, and it might not be fair to judge it harshly for this failing, but I would like something better. It doesn't seem like I can get the blade tension tight enough using even 1/2" blades, let alone 3/4" which the saw is rated for. This seems to cause some great degree of wander in the blade tracking when using the wider blades, something I haven't noticed when using thinner blades. It seems to me that even without the riser kit installed there is more flex in the body of the saw than I would expect. The table is small, and the included fence is downright hard to lock in place without feeling like I am torking the table beyond ideal.
Alright, so I would like to recoup some of the expense of the saw, and invest in a better one. I primarily use the band saw for resawing, trimming odd little things where I don't want to setup another saw, and to cut curves with a jig.
I would like a decent size motor, as large as a table as possible, and a really solid frame.
So far looking to spend maybe an additonal 1000, after selling the Grizzly that moves me into about 1300 range. Looking online and some in person the Jet 16" jumps out at me, the Laguna 14LTSE and the 16" are both appealing, and the Delta 18" seems worth looking at. Are there other models I am overlooking? Does anyone have experience with these saws? Also it seems like while the laguna 14LTSE is smaller than the other models I am looking at it, it has all the same features and might have higher quality despite the smaller size. I have found that the blade depth on my Grizzly has never been a problem for me, or at least not one i couldn't work around by using a different tool.
Thanks in advance, as any help will be well appreciated
Andrew
You might also try one of the aftermarket springs sold in catalogs (woodcraft for example) that allows you to crank up the tension for resawing. Woodcraft also has a number of the high end Delta, Jet, and Powermatic bandsaws for fairly reasonable (for woodcraft) prices.

Wouldn't do that, based on several inside looks at Grizz casting and curing. Seemed a weakness throughout the five pieces we bought from them.

Andrew What you are trying to do is the same thing as trying to build a house with a tack hammer. I have the G0555 with the riser kit and I just love it. I have done all kinds of resawing on it using Oak, Ash, and Walnut with a 1/2" and 3/4" scilicone steel blade. You should have realized that if you were going to do industrial work you should have bought an industrial type bandsaw. Grizzly has several. --- No, I wouldn't even think of trying to cut any wood that was the consistency of Ironwood or Mesquite on the 555 or even on a comparable Delta saw.
Laguna LT14SE. I just got one. Sweet.
On 7 May 2005 13:57:32 -0700, "Tattooed and Dusty"

I've never seen a 14" machine that could really use 3/4" blades. Since I found a supplier who could put big teeth on a narrow band, I've not used anything more than 3/8" wide, even for resawing, and I get much better results.
You can also address the lack of tension problems with a better spring for higher tension (or at least better stability at the same tension) and a blade that's happier at lower tensions.
There's a lot you can do yet to make a 14" machine perform.
The Laguna LT14SE can take a 1 inch blade.
On 7 May 2005 15:25:58 -0700, "Never Enough Money"
You mean it will fit. I doubt very much if it will do anything useful with it.
(If that's the same 14" Laguna we have round here, it certainly won't)
On Sat, 07 May 2005 22:50:58 +0100, Andy Dingley

Howdy,
Perhaps I am missing something here (Hey, it wouldn't be the first time...) but, my Hitachi 14 1/2" bandsaw happily uses a 3" blade for resawing.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

Joe Thanks for the comments. I am not saying anything is wrong with the G0555. I am saying it doesn't do what I want it to. I didn't have the 8/4 Mubangu when I purchased the saw, and other than a couple little things it performed alright initially for my needs. I was attempting to convey the uses I have for the replacement, didn't mean to insult anyones love of Grizzly.
I knew when purchasing the G0555 it wouldn't be able to handle a 3/4" blade, but even the half seems to be pushing its capabilities. The Laguna LT14SE has a welded steel frame rather than a cast iron frame. This makes its appearance, and I would assume its performance much more like the 16" and larger Jet and Delta machines.
Never enough money, Any other details about the laguna than sweet? Is there anything about it you don't seem to like? Have you dealt with their customer service? Any other info would be much appreciated.
Andrew
Andrew, I'm actually exaggerating the truth. I don't actually get my Laguna till next week. Laguna sent me an e-mail saying it has arrived from Europe and will be shipped next week.
I have seen it demo'ed at the Denver Woodworking show.
It is sweet because it is so strudy, accepts a 1 inch blade, has a nice fence, the blade is pretty easy to change, and the dust port is positioned in a nice place. The fit and finish is a grade above the other 14" bandsaws, IMO.
The Laguna resaw king blade gets high ratings in everything I've read, too.
I also bought the cabinet stand and the mobility unit. The mobility unit has a nice handle that allows you to pull/push is like a childs wagon.
Sorry for the duplicate posting. Don't know what happened.
How long between ordering and delivery? I guess I hadn't looking into it enough yet to realize they are shipped from Europe

This is from the Grizzly site for the 0555 14" version: a.. Blade size: 92 1/2 - 93-1/2" (1/8" to 3/4" wide)
If you install the extension on the saw it takes a 105" blade.
Thanks again Joe.
What is the sense in replying to posts with absolute non-sense? Do you get something out of it?
Just a thought but if the model you have suits most of your needs wouldn't it be easier to have someone else cut it and perhaps pay them rather than pumping many hundred dollars more in a tool that does something you only need once in a while?
On Sat, 07 May 2005 19:51:57 -0400, Kenneth

Yes, but that's hardly mainstream is it ? Nor is the frame design quite comparable to the Grizzly et al.
On Sun, 08 May 2005 10:50:02 +0100, Andy Dingley

Hello again,
I saw no mention of "mainstream" or "frame design." I responded to someone who said that they had never seen a 14" saw that would handle a 3/4" blade.
All the best,
--
Kenneth

On Sun, 08 May 2005 07:28:17 -0400, Kenneth
Does yours ? I did admire one of these things S/H once, as it was indeed a lovely resaw, but was told that it wasn't possible to run any blade on it other than the enormous resaw blade and so didn't buy it.

My Jet JWB14SDX with a Riser seems to handle one. I have a low-tension PS Wood 3/4" blade.