Big Wood

http://laughingsquid.com/metropol-parasol-the-largest-wooden-structure-in-the-world /
I don't have dimensions on the ex-USMC hanger in Tustin to contest size, but this is definitely more artistic . Now if they combine it with the mechanical clouds planned for a stadium in Qatar... http://inhabitat.com/scientists-in-qatar-develop-solar-powered-clouds-to-cool-world-cup-stadium/qatar-cloud-cover-3 /
Aside, RDJ, I enjoyed your merry exchange with "Cheop(s)" on another group. I haven't seen the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas yet but if you get to Southern California, a look at The Pyramid gymnasium on the campus of Cal State Long Beach will be reward the detour. The elevating bleachers alone are a concept realized.
"Sarcophagus", BTW, resolves to "flesh eating" given that limestone made up the coffins and the wizened state of the pharonic occupants combined with the reputation of quicklime played into formulation of the term.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
snipped-for-privacy@OUTyahoo.com says...

http://laughingsquid.com/metropol-parasol-the-largest-wooden-structure-in-the-world /
http://inhabitat.com/scientists-in-qatar-develop-solar-powered-clouds-to-cool-world-cup-stadium/qatar-cloud-cover-3 /
Supposedly the Metropol Parasol is 5,000 square meters and the area of the facility as a whole is 12,800 square meters.
Tillamook and Tustin are over 20,000 square meters.
Wikipedia seems to think that a Buddhist temple in Japan is the biggest wooden building at 2,800 square meters. Tillamook is nearly ten times that size.

On 05/11/2011 07:18 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

The Tacoma dome has to rate right up there - for the roof.
http://basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/SeattleSonics/oldindex.htm
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

It's good sized but the airship hangars have it beat. Tillamook is a thouand feet long, almost 300 feet wide, and 192 feet tall. The Tustin hangars are the same design (they were mass-produced to a standard plan during WWII).
says...

For low values of mass produced ... :o)

says...

Seems to be dimensionally similar to the Tacoma dome.
The hangars really were mass-produced. The structure was all built in a factory somewhere as subassemblies that would fit on a truck or flatcar and delivered to the construction site where it was assembled. Same concept as roof trusses today, only _big_.
says...

The domes had sub-assemblies Factory produced. Mass production implies hundreds, if not thousands of domes.

Somebody wrote:

------------------------------------- Can't comment on the hanger at Tustin, but it rained more than once inside the Goodyear blimp hanger in Akron, OH.
Probably had something to do with the stellar weather in NE Ohio.
Lew

Or NW Ohio. It's not the heat, ...

On 5/11/2011 11:28 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Don't recall it raining in the MCAS Tustin hangar but had clouds form about three times a year. Had to have the weather just right because the humidity was normally too low.

How do those compare to the Coney Island Cyclone?
In article <f02c4173-568f-4098-87f4-5143c7fb58b0

You could fit several Coney Island Cyclones into the Tilamook or Tustin hangars. Can't find exact dimensions on the Cyclone, but measuring it with Google Earth it's a little under 500 feet long and about a hundred feet wide and the Wikipedia entry says that it's about 85 feet high.