Big time gloat sorta OT

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com writes:

To ensure that the device can identify the grounded (aka neutral) conductor.
scott
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 03:04:15 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:
[massive snip of stuff not related to the point I want to make]

It is my understanding that the QO series of breakers by SquareD IS rated for use as a switch. That is a principle reason I installed it/them for my main load center and my shop sub-panel. Not necessarily that I will use them that way, but the main breaker in the shop sub may be.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Yup, it is that simple and the posted cautions are appropriate.
I *had* to do this in the aftermath of an Ice storm which left me with no power for 10 days in January in 10 degree temperatures. I do not consider that living dangerously, I consider that saving my house/family from catastrophic damage (a near certainty that the hot hater heating pipes would burst w/o power for the furnace).
Absolutely, shut of the main breaker, and only turn on necessary appliances.
-Steve

their
it
then I

Stephen M wrote:

If you are going to back feed the panel through a 220V outlet I'd throw the breakers off for anything not required along with the main breaker.
When the commercial power is restored shut down the generator and disconnect it before energizing the main breakers.
Just remember that if you forget to turn off the main breaker and the power company can prove that it was you who killed their lineman (yours is the only house with lights on, right?) you'll go to jail for -murder-.
Alternatively, get a transfer switch and hook up your favorite circuits to it. They'll disconnect from the mains and go live when the gen set comes on and you hit the switch.
Ebay for "transfer switch", $50, you have 12 hours! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryV995&item824927032&rd=1
BTW, Searcher, you suck. That's a valid gloat.
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:18:04 GMT, "Searcher"

---------------------------------------------- Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design ==========================================================
(yours is the only house with lights on, right?)
Not in my neighborhood, ;~) there are 4 neighbors that use their generators when the power goes out. I still believe that the generator would stall if you forgot to turn the main breaker off.

Sounds like good advice to me.

It is possible for a switch at the transformer to isolate you. When the switch is closed...
Not likely, but possible.

Actually Manslaughter, 1987 case with Louisville Gas and Electric after a tornado
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:54:03 GMT, "Sweet Sawdust"

A rose, by any other name...
---------------------------------------------- Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design ==========================================================
Larry Jaques wrote:

Not quite. In this state murder can get you 25 to life or in some circumstances execution (electrocuting a lineman wouldn't do it) while second degree manslaughter (this is probably the world they could prove for electrocuting a lineman--first degree requires intent to do harm) gets 1 to 10 and criminally negligent homicide gets a year max.

--
--John

for
And you know all this because...? :)
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 00:46:06 GMT, "Leon"

no, no... leave it on... then the whole neighborhood will have power!

Leon wrote:>>You know, if you put a Clothes dryer plug on the generator, plug it in where

I had a friend that installed a plug on the hot side of a circuit... Tom Work at your leisure!
Guys, don't take chances with electricity. It can KILL you - quickly.
I have a transfer switch for my generator. The switch was less than $200 from Northern Tools and powers six key circuits (heat - gas furnace blower, refrigerators, microwave and some key lighting areas). You can install the switch and run the wiring yourself. Then hire an electrician for $75 to wire it into your circuit breaker panel.
To hook up the generator, I bought 10 gauge wire and two male 240V plugs from HD and made my own extension cord - one end plugs into the generator, the other into the transfer panel.
Very safe. Very convenient.
Bob

one,
marking
I need to do the same thing. Last August we had a big storm with straighline winds that knocked the power out to about 500,000 people. My power was off 11 days. Went and bought a generator to power the fridge and a few lights and a small air conditioner. Never would have made it with out it.
I told myself I would get the house wired up when it was all over and the electricians were back to a normal work load.
bob wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 00:18:13 GMT, "Searcher"

Climate change? It's not because of global warming, it's because of people like you creating low-pressure areas.
Good catch!
Surely qualifies as a top notch GLOAT! Loves them good deals! GOOD FIND
WOW, What a lot of comments. The best, and probably cheapest overall backup power connection is the automatic transfer switch sold by many power companies, and maybe others. It mounts under the meter and has a pigtail to connect to the generator. All switching is automatic, but you still have to turn off the air conditioner and probably the water heater. Generators over about 5KW will pull a water heater or dryer, but not along with much else. If you manage things, you can have hot water and run a couple of stove burners. Of course you must turn off your 5HP air compressor!
I've done the kludge thing with the suicide plug and it works fine. I've never forgotten to turn off the main. The real concern there is backfeeding a transformer and zapping a lineman. I expect you would have to quite near a transformer that has its high side disconnected for the generator to be able to develop any voltage, but even a momentary surge on the 240V side could cause some high voltage on the high voltage side.
Wilson

didn't
put