BIG shellac project

Page 1 of 2
I'm fixin'ta lay 300 square of #2 Red Oak T&G strip flooring in the kids playroom. It will be finished with Bysakhi Button shellac, of course.
The finishing schedule I plan to folow is: 1/2 pound cut <lightly sand floor> 1/2 pound cut <lightly sand floor> 1 pound cut 2 pound cut 2 pound cut allowing a week to dry between coats
My primary question what might be the best way to apply said shellac. I'm thinking that given such a large area I might be best to use a small spaghetti mop.
J G wrote:

do you think that'll be tough enough for the kids floor?
dave

Certainly! Not that I need to defend my choice to you or anybody else, I will anyway. Perhaps someone may learn a thing or two:
Shellac was the traditional finished used on hardwood floors for centuries.
Good quality and freshly made shellac applied in thin coats is quite resilient. And buffed out with paste wax it will offer a sheen, warm glow, depth, and radiance to the wood unlike a Polly ever could.
The most important aspect of choosing it is that it can be fixed very easily and quite invisibly should it get damaged, unlike a pollyurinstain finish.
If your gonna teach 'someone learn a thing or two' about shellac, why are you asking us a basic question on how to apply it??? Mark L.
snippage

Whoo BOY we got us a live one here. Better get the gaff!!!
Because, I do not profess to know _everything_, and am not ashamed to ask for help/advice where appropriate. and this is certainly NOT a "basicquestion on how to apply it". Application on large peices differs significanlty from small items as it is.... now factor in 300 square feet and the situation chages yet again... see what I mean?
Be careful what you use to clean/wax those floors. Ammonia is a no-no with shellac, and a _lot_ of cleaners have ammonia. Seems acrylic waxes have a bit of it or alcohols in 'em too.
wrote in message

Application
wrote in message

Me think JG = BAD
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Yahoo) wrote in

Uhhh, no.
Patriarch
"Yahoo" wrote in message

You obviously are new (relatively speaking) around these parts. Those who know me, would know better than to make such a statement.
ranted:

So sign 'em "Spokie" and we'll all know. Also, please don't reply to/converse with the bad guys.
=========================================================== Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct! http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ===========================================================

Occupational habit/hazard.
--
J G
"bad boys, bad boys, wachya gonna do.....

You're quick John. (I meant here on the Wreck.) <sigh>
------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there. - http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -

....hmmm 5 applications of your defended choice. Let us known how it holds up to spilled kiddy bev's, chairs/furniture being dragged across it, etc.
I'm fairy sure, most floors of any value, in the past were either covered with an area carpet, or only laid in area's of little or no traffic(eg: a room had a visible outside border of hardwood, while the center was of cheaper material and covered with carpet).
ummm...good luck, I'd use a large pad applicator on a pole.
Cheers,
aw
I just redid the floors in my hose which had shellac on them for the last 50 years. After years and years of kid use, furniture moving, etc., surprisingly resilient. Just my 2 cents.
--
Ken Gunter

Woodworker & CH-47D Pilot in Command
A Dubya, might I suggest: http://www.markjcooking.com/recipex.php/54672
"47Driver" wrote in message

50
it, etc.

lol.....served cold...or is that revenge?
I have had quite a few pieces brought to my shop for water damage (eg: something that would resemble the circumference of a frosty beer mug), and touch-ups for high use areas (where one would constantly touch, rub etc).
What does one use on a shellac finished floor for regular day to day...week to week cleaning? Buffing? I could see it in an adult oriented (lol..get your mind out of the gutter) atmosphere, with no pets, children, UV concerns, and everyone wearing nicely personalized knitted slippers.......
Very cool. Something new to consider and investigate further.
Cheers,
aw
ADubya wrote:

More than likely wax. Beer, wine, and even mixed drinks are far dillute to damage shellac unless it's left to set for a long long time (days). Dog/cat urine on the other hand, pretty much cuts right into it. DAMHIKT. I would imagine kid pee will do the same.

Heh. At least shellac (and lacquer) is touchupable. Is that a word?

day...week
Murphy's oil soap works pretty good.

Johnson's floor wax?
I could see it in an adult oriented (lol..get

Actually, there are a lot of good reasons not to wear shoes in the house, floor maintenaince not being the least consideration. Ever been to Hawaii? Piles of sandals at front and back doors, including some allocated for guests.

Hope this furthered things.
Of course it's a trade-off. Select a durable, yet maintainable finish? Or choose one that's really really durable, but really tough to fix once it's damaged (and EVERY finish will get damaged).
Humble submitted, O'Deen

They had servants and nurseries though. Historically (certainly for upper-class England, where the good floors were) there was less tendency to wear outdoor footwear indoors.

Do you really need a week between coats?
Barry
"B a r r y" wrote in message > >allowing a week to dry between coats

Proboably not, but with the humidity this time of year in Memphis, it certainly can't hurt, to make sure it is fully cured.