Big Planer Owners

Page 2 of 2

George wrote:

I have always recognized this as a potential hazard before as well. I thought about this some more while I was in the shop yesterday after reading this. So I cut a piece of melamine, grabbed the drill and mounted the melamine between the planer and the outfeed roller. No more worrying about trapped fingers.
-jj

Good move JJ.

If your planer table were constant height, your melamine-topped off-riding helper could be a table in its own right. Don't need any rollers on the infeed side, because you're already standing there.
Put a bit of up-tilt on the far end of the table to prevent snipe should you forget to tighten the head. Helps Polacks like me if someone puts a feed direction arrow in there somewhere, too.

LOL.... Have you actually tried to feed in the wrong direction? I often find myself raising the cutter head instead of lowering after a pass. I really hate waiting on the board to go through with anything wood being removed.

No, but I have put the high end of the catch table toward the planer, which caused the end of the board to begin pushing it across the floor. The end close to the planer wants to be the same height, sloping up maybe an eighth every foot and a half to prevent snipe.
Jak se mas? Or is it Jak leci?
George wrote:

I'm not sure replacing my 20" planer JUST to get a fixed table would be worth it. The scrap melamine was pretty much free.
Don't need any rollers on the

Right, that's why I only put it on the outfeed side.

Instead of the arrow, I got the melamine to show me which end is out. :)

--
Remove BOB to email me

Well I would say it's kinda like a left tilt vs right tilt. There ARE differences but it has to do with the user. That's just my 2 cents. I have used both, but I own a 3hp with the motor in the cabinet. With the motor on top you have to work around it to change the knives. It is not in the way as to be removed to change them, it's just something you have to fumble around. With the table that moves you really cant setup outfeed rollers from stands without adjusting them after every depth change.
Leon wrote:

I was looking at that and agree with the motor being in the mix but as you pointed out it may not be a serious problem. And right now I walk each board around rather than roll them over the top so that would not be any addition problem. Actually I seldom do 1 board and stack them all up, make a depth adjustment and run them all through again.
The DC-380(22-780X) is a very nice planer. Built like a tank and can handle any big load. The blades are a pain in the ass to install but not bad.
I have had mine for about three years now and just changed out the blades.
The only "disadvantage" to the motor on top is that on the lunch box planer I had(12.5" Delta), it had a little roller on top that helped out a LOT in moving the lumber back and forth from outfeed to infeed, while the damn big 15" does not have that fancy little roller.
That's not a show stopper and I would easily purchase the Delta again. The infeed and outfeed rollers are wonderful.
Leon wrote:

I forgot to add....get the mobile base at all costs...this is a very heavy sucker and requires a mobile base. I think that the current package throws in the base but if not, pay the $100 and get it anyway.
Have a few friends over for the unloading....
Pat Barber wrote:

Actually I think I will let my local supplier have the business if he will work with me a bit and let him set the planer up. I would not think of not getting a mobile base.

<snip> I have a Powermatic 15"... Motor below, in and out-feed rollers that catch an unwary finger... 2 rollers on top that I use a lot! The in and out feed "tables" do get used as handles on occasion, but hasn't seemed to present a problem. Blades are easily accessible for honing and replacement. The machine comes with a roller (caster) at each corner so a mobile base is not needed. Tom as usual, YMMV

I'll have a look but I sure like the Delta style in feed and out feed. Virtually no way to get a finger or hand caught. Thanks
Leon wrote:

Leon FWIW I have the Powermatic 15" with spiral head cutter, cast iron in/out feeds and like it very much. The Jet looks very similar. I couldn't tell what sort of dust collector port the Delta has. I seem to recall someone having size problems with the Delta collector adaptor
Thanks to all the responders.
I am getting the Delta 22-780X later this week delivered and assembled with mobile base. $1099 after $100 rebate. I bought it locally in Houston.