Big payout in table saw suit!

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/25130/man-wins-big-money-in-tablesaw-lawsuit
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 04:52:59 -0700, Tom wrote:

Ridiculous! But wait! My pocket knife doesn't have that technology either! I'm rich!

I bought a tool that does exactly what it does, and not what another tool does! Can I get a jury of idiots to give me many dollars?
Why, yes, Dave. Yes, you can.
But only if you live in the US of A.
In Canada, where you live, Dave, you will have to file a Human Rights Commission complaint.
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:39:43 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@mauve.rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

I agree. The injured party had the opportunity to buy the SawStop, but didn't. He had the opportunity to choose to use the Ryobi, or not.
It all comes down to TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS.
As an aside, I'm currently suing Major League Baseball. I've always wanted to pitch for the Dodgers, but I'm not very good and my arm is worn out. I petitioned them to let me pitch from, like, 30 feet away instead of the 60'6" in the rule book. They said "No". I think I've got a case.
-Zz
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 19:57:42 -0700 (PDT), the infamous snipped-for-privacy@stny.rr.com scrawled the following:

The inventor, a Speaking Weasel (lawyer) had offered the licensing to other saw companies for a set fee per unit plus EIGHT PERCENT OF THE SAW'S PRICE. That raises a cabinet saw's price by OVER THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS. With the amount of money it would instantly give to him I can't see why he'd withdraw the offer.
If the idiot had said "A couple grand for the license and a buck or two per unit." the devices would likely already be on every single new saw coming out of all factories. But the #%^&%^&*! wanted more, a lot more.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler