big OOOPS

I am making a Futon sofa/bed i was routing the 3/4 in deep curved grooves for the roller mechanism,using a router and a template. the first one on the left side of the couch went fine the second one on the right went fine or so i thought. when i placed the two parts with the grooves facing each other, i was sopposed to have mirror images of the grooves i didnt, I forgot to flip the template over ARRGH. i dont feel like buying another 8/4 stick of honduran mohogany for 100 dollars and redoing all of the mortises for the legs, rails and stiles, the only good part is that the mistake will face the inside of the couch, my only idea for repairing this is to square out the curved grooves into 2x4 sized rectangles using a chisel then glue in a appropiate piece from one of the off cuts, any other suggestions for fixing this? Thanks
Build a new one...look at it this way...you have half of your second one done all ready....good luck. Mike
Yeah i do need the matching love seat but i still need to patch this one, just like in life, your mistakes usually teach you more than your successes
[snip of something we've all done...or will]

I think your idea is just fine. David Marks even demonstrated that on an "oops" episode of Woodworks. And I've done it myself (my apoligies for including myself in the same paragraph as David Marks). Having pieces from the same chunk of wood and doing a decent job of fitting will net a virtually invisible repair.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
hex wrote:

I've said this before - and I'll say it again Learn some inlay techniques real fast.
Then ... Learn to smile and say "Isn't that brilliant decorative technique?" and preen. Even the people who are _sure_ you BSing them will back off and nod wisely. Trust me on this one.
Use a nice contrasting wood to plug the holes. (carefully) Turn it over and re-work it. Then flaunt the mistake. You will be glad you did. :-))
Assuming you can figure out how to do the inlay.
I only use inlay techniques deliberately for decorative purpose though...
;-)
Good luck with whatever you do.
WillR wrote:

I think it was on this group where I saw this exchange:
Q: I dropped something on my project and there are some pretty deep dings. how do I get them out?
A: Don't bother - beat the whole thing with a log chain, call it distressed, and charge an extra $20.
(:
Joe User wrote:

Did I post to rec.www.humor by mistake again?
Posting your reply in the shop - thanks. Priceless. No chains though - Dam!
Made my day -- well a good chunk of it anyway. There were a couple of others in the same class with the same opportunistic bent...
Since you have a template, it probably won't be any more work to trace it onto some piece of waste and make a curved piece to fill the erroneous groove. Glue it in, then don't forget to flip the template and make a new one. I had a kitchen makeover with some curved cabinets, so I had to make curved quarter-round molding to fit. Took a bunch of test fittings, but it wasn't too hard.
Good luck.
Steve

"hex" wrote:

<snip tho old mirror image mistake>
Think "DUTCHMAN", a name given to inlays.
Use your router to clean things up, save your chisels for squaring up the corners, if necessary.
Maybe even make the dutchman from a contrasting piece.
HTH
Lew

Intentionally make the same mistake on the opposite side and turn it into a design function, if possible. IOW, make it look intentional :)
Build two, just like Norm does. And sell the second one.