Big John

Every mornning at the mine, you could see him arrive. He stood 6 foot 6, weighed 245. Kind of broad at the shoulders, narrow at the hip. And everybody knew you didn't give no lip to Big John.
Big John Big John Big Bad John Big John
Nobody seemed to know where John called home He just drifted into town and stayed all alone. He didn't say much, kind of quiet and shy And if you spoke at all, you'd just said hi to Big John. Somebody said he came from New Orleans, Where he got into a fight over a Cajun Queen. And a crash and a blow from a huge right hand, sent a Lousiana fella to the promise land.
Big John Big John Big bad John Big John
Then came the day at the bottom of the mine, when a timber cracked and men started crying. Minors were praying, and hearts beat fast and everybody thought they had breathed thier last cept' John. Through the dust and the smoke of this man made hell, walked a giant of a man that the minors knew well. Grabbed a sagging timber and gave out with a groan, and like a giant oak tree he just stood there alone, Big John
Big John Big John Big Bad John Big John
And with all of his strength, he gave a mighty shove. Then a minor yelled out, 'theres a light up above!'. And 20 men scrambled from a 'would be' grave now theres only one left down there to save, Big John. With jacks and timbers, they started back down, then came that rumble way down in the ground. And as smoke and gas smelched out of that mine, everybody knew it was the end of the line, for Big John.
Big John Big John Big Bad John Big John
Now they never re-opend that wortheless pit, they just placed a marble stand in front of it. These few words are written on that stand, 'At the bottom of this mine, lies one Hell of a man, Big John'
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

... and thank you, Jimmy Dean.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/21/06

But Big John was the B side.
What was on the A side?
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:

"I Won't Go Huntin' With You Jake" ?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote in message

Shouldn't that be "Dick"?

No. It should be "I Won't Go Drivin' With You Ted".
Swingman wrote:

Perhaps you could do a remake. It'd be current.
P.S. the sub-title for the original is "(But I'll Go Chasin' Women)".
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Hee.. and change the B side to "Big Juan".
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Tom Watson wrote:

You might give some credit to Jimmy Dean, the sausage man.     j4
[snip]

[snip]
[snip]
Are you saying the miners let people under 21 down in the mines to mine?
I did not know that.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

I knew a family of Minors once.
Puckdropper

Perhaps the minors knew Big John in a biblical sense?
Jim Stuyck (ducking for cover)

Just a few minutes ago on Prairie Home Companion there was a Mother - Daughter duo singing the Alaska Wildlife Department's little handout on what to do if you confront a bear in the wild. It was sung to the tune of "If I Were A Rich Man". They claimed it was verbatim out of the pamphlet.
SWMBO and I both damn near choked and I snorted snot on the keyboard (which is why it has taken me a while to resume typing and post this). Wonderful song. Catch the rebroadcast if you can tomorrow. It was late in the first half, or early in the second.
"If you meet a brown bear..dudda, dudda, dudda dum....."
Regards, Roy
Roy wrote:

I am an avid listener to Keillor and caught the song. Absolutely wonderful.     mahalo,     jo4hn p.s. you need more duddas there.

I was tryin' to save bandwidth...... B^)
From the subject line, I was expecting another bathroom renovation thread.
B.