Big Iron & stuff

Excuse top posting: saw this on alt.home.repair; thought there would be interest here....
wrote: <snip>
<Stuff about government auction site>

<snip>
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 17:49:49 -0400, Paul Franklin

Nothing to excuse. I much prefer top posting to scrolling through page after page of quotes to see the added material. Some of the stuff looks interesting, but not enough to bid on the whole kaboodle.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
On 6/19/2009 3:22 PM Tom Veatch spake thus:

At the risk of beating a dead horse: Good Usenet etiquette, including bottom-posting, includes trimming your replies.
I don't like scrolling through pages of useless crap either. That's why I trim out anything not related to what I'm replying to.
It's pretty simple, really.
(But of course there are plenty of idjits here who never trim posts and only add a 1-line reply to the bottom of a 700-line message.)

It might not be idiocy (or idjitcy) but rather obstinacy.
Max
On 6/19/2009 5:42 PM Max spake thus:

Well, I'd say it's certainly by neglect, not by intent. (I.e., laziness.)
See how I trimmed that post?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

Damn. You're good.
On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:59:43 -0700, David Nebenzahl
Especially in Forte Agent. I don't know how it works in other readers, but in Agent, if you highlight a portion of the text in the message, the response only quotes the highlighted text.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
On 6/19/2009 8:55 PM Tom Veatch spake thus:

Hmm, didn't know that.
Just tried it with Thunderbird. No luck. Oh, well.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

With Thunderbird, you click on the 'Reply' button to reply to a posting. By default the entire original posting is included. You then highlight anything that you do not want and hit the delete key.

It doesn't keep the attributions, which makes the function useless, IMO.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "attributions", but that's how I quoted your comment shown above. And it attributes the quote to:
wrote:"
Are you talking about something else?
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

It doesn't leave the attributions to anyone other than who you're replying to. Better than other newsreaders, but useless just the same.
On 6/20/2009 5:09 AM krw spake thus:

Not doubting you, but it seems to me that would be a hell of a complex parsing task for the software. (Nice feature, though, if someone could pull it off.)

I don't see why attribution is critical to a newsreader's usefulness? Who said what is usually pretty apparent from context and the header panel in my lowly Outlook Express header pannel.
It might be helpful in one of those 250 post OT, bush bashing, liberal lashing pissing contests, but there is nothing, IMHO, "useful" about those.
just say'n.
On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 02:22:54 -0400, "C & S"

Not the NewsReader, the feature. Quoting without attribution is not only wrong, but it makes tracing the thread difficult to impossible. You quoted two deep, but only had one attribution. It's not clear who you're talking to.

Don't know what you're "just say'n" has to do with the subject, either.

Just like my client, Pluto. And the attributions are? - intact of course. It makes a better job that I ever mannage to do :-)
Tom Veatch wrote:

But it has a vaguely French-sounding name.
Why take a chance (like the mustard)?