Big Iron

try to compete with it, but I'd guess the Felder is a bit out of Grizzly's league. Oh, well, here it is anyway; for a mere $12,350 (on sale, delivered):

weight: 2717 lbs.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

No it isn't. I'm ambidextrous. Rosie Palmer is a -way- cheaper date than an ex-wife.

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Big Iron, not heavy Iron, The Jet is 31"x80" of iron, 2240 sq inches of iron table surface, yours, 1824 square inches of table surface assuming all of it is iron.

Was.

I have already pointed that out in another post.

Reply to
Leon

Oh, well then the Grizzly G0620's 3300 sq inches might be in competition after all. Can't tell if the table is all (or any) cast iron, but the weight (2517 lbs) suggests it could be.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 18:33:35 -0700, Jim Weisgram

saws like these ones Big price difference obviously, but I`m wondering about exacting cutting tolerances and capabilities.

I`ve looked but haven`t yet found any test review comparisons of two saws like these ones.

Reply to
Dave

I don't know about the Griz but the Knapp built Laguna saw of this caliber had aircraft quality aluminum moving tables. I have had the hots for the Laguna model ever since I watched a demo DVD with the owner of Laguna showing all the features. The one that sold me was with him sitting on top of the sliding table and giving a little push to ride out to the end of travel. Slick!

Reply to
Leon

Larry Jaques wrote the following on 10/18/2012 10:49 PM (ET):

> [...]

It was Lily Palmer in my day.

Reply to
willshak

Rosie's her granddaughter, y'olde farte. ;)

-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 07:50:15 -0500, Leon

I like this one. At $22,000 used, it's the equivalent of a down payment on a house.

would you have a link by any chance to a video/youtube of that guy riding that Knapp Laguna?

Reply to
Dave

On 10/17/2012 8:00 PM, Leon wrote: ...

I'm partial to OLDer the better big iron meself...wish had the 3PH power and a shop area that could handle it. Miss the access had in VA, particularly...

In particular since I do have the RAS that is 16" I don't lack for saw capacity but I pine for a 16" or larger jointer in the worstest way...

Of course, 20+" would be even better... :)

Reply to
dpb

They are out there:

Larry Kraus

the necessary clearance and headroom that has the floor that will hold 'em up...the old barn is big but very little actual open space what w/ the support partitions, stalls, etc., and it's very low headroom as as much height as possible was put into the hayloft space.

It, while it would make a wonderful working space being almost completely open and essentially no limit up, would take a tremendous amount of work to shore up to support such a point load not to mention the problem of then needing a freight elevator that would handle stuff, etc., etc., etc., ... Believe me, I've thought a lot about how kewl it would be to open a larger dormer for the purpose and if I were 30 yr or so younger, maybe...

Reply to
dpb

The Jet standard table size is 31"x24"...the 80" is a result of a "extension wing".

My saw still weighs 200 lbs more with a "smaller" table ???

Yes...the entire top of the Delta is cast iron.

How is the Jet bigger yet 200+ lbs lighter ?

Reply to
Pat Barber

Correct and that extension wing is all CAST IRON.

? What is your point, still talking large iron surface, see title of thread.

Yes.... the entire surface of the Jet and extension is all cast iron.

Not over built where it does not need to be overbuilt.

Reply to
Leon

Well I have to admit that Jet continues to make some of the finest reproductions in woodworking equipment that you can buy.

I think I have carried this thread much further than need be.

Reply to
Pat Barber