Big Iron

The one in the picture is a left tilt. I'm wondering what part of the mechanism is in the left side bulge on the saw. Usually, a left tilt has a space for the moving trunnion on the right side.
On 10/18/2012 8:04 AM, Dave wrote:

The motor swings in that bulge, pretty typical actually. My Jet is the same and IIRC the Unisaws are/were too.

Ok, my thought processes are in contractor saw mode with the motor directly astern and swings up to the right when you do angled cuts. I was thinking cabinet saws had the motor directly beneath the blade, but I guess with the trunnion there, it would just as logical to have the motor left side of the blade.
On 10/18/2012 8:42 AM, Dave wrote: ...

Far more so, actually...having one, I happen to keep this bookmark handy...there's exploded diagram at rear...
<http://www.lexington.woodworkersguild.org/shop/manuals/Powermatic%20Model%2066%20Table%20Saw%20Manual.pdf
On 10/18/2012 8:42 AM, Dave wrote:

Actually the majority of cabinet saws in the US have the motor situated just like a contractors saw except the motor is below the blade rather than behind the blade. The motor is also much closer t teh blade with much shorter belts. Additionally the motor is about 50% longer and 25% larger in diameter. When making 90 degree cuts the motor sticks out of the cabinet, when making 45 degree bevel cuts the motor is pretty much inside the cabinet.
On 10/17/2012 10:49 AM, Leon wrote:

http://www.jettools.com/us/manufacturing/en/product.html?node !497&product37120
Sort of "big iron"...
My 1966 Delta 34-450 12/14 comes in at 850lbs. My top is 38"x48".
Delta was making the big stuff in 1939, so Jet is a tad late in getting in the game.
It appears to be a carbon copy of the Delta machine, while the top size is smaller. I must admit the riving knife would appeal to me.
For the true "Big Iron", one needs to step up to http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/tablesaws/4saw.htm note the shipping weight....
or one of my favorites that I will never own....
http://www.altendorf.de/en/products/f-45-elmo/f-45-elmo-iv.html
or
http://www.felderusa.com/us-us/products/table-saws.html

Now you are talking. I was going to post the Grizzly model that would try to compete with it, but I'd guess the Felder is a bit out of Grizzly's league. Oh, well, here it is anyway; for a mere $12,350 (on sale, delivered):
http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/14-10-HP-220V-440V-3-Phase-Sliding-Table-Saw-w-Digital-Controls/G0620
Shipping weight: 2717 lbs.
On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 18:33:35 -0700, Jim Weisgram

I`ve always wondered what kind of difference there was between two saws like these ones Big price difference obviously, but I`m wondering about exacting cutting tolerances and capabilities.
I`ve looked but haven`t yet found any test review comparisons of two saws like these ones.
On 10/18/2012 3:33 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

Big Iron, not heavy Iron, The Jet is 31"x80" of iron, 2240 sq inches of iron table surface, yours, 1824 square inches of table surface assuming all of it is iron.

Was.
I have already pointed that out in another post.

Oh, well then the Grizzly G0620's 3300 sq inches might be in competition after all. Can't tell if the table is all (or any) cast iron, but the weight (2517 lbs) suggests it could be.
On 10/18/2012 10:53 PM, Jim Weisgram wrote:

I don't know about the Griz but the Knapp built Laguna saw of this caliber had aircraft quality aluminum moving tables. I have had the hots for the Laguna model ever since I watched a demo DVD with the owner of Laguna showing all the features. The one that sold me was with him sitting on top of the sliding table and giving a little push to ride out to the end of travel. Slick!

I like this one. At $22,000 used, it's the equivalent of a down payment on a house. http://www.machineryassociates.com/Altendorf-F-45-Elmo-CE-Machine-For-Sale-3966
BTW, would you have a link by any chance to a video/youtube of that guy riding that Knapp Laguna?
On 10/18/2012 8:35 PM, Leon wrote:

The Jet standard table size is 31"x24"...the 80" is a result of a "extension wing".
My saw still weighs 200 lbs more with a "smaller" table ???
Yes...the entire top of the Delta is cast iron.
How is the Jet bigger yet 200+ lbs lighter ?
On 10/22/2012 2:20 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

Correct and that extension wing is all CAST IRON.

? What is your point, still talking large iron surface, see title of thread.

Yes.... the entire surface of the Jet and extension is all cast iron.

Not over built where it does not need to be overbuilt.
On 10/22/2012 5:33 PM, Leon wrote:

Well I have to admit that Jet continues to make some of the finest reproductions in woodworking equipment that you can buy.
I think I have carried this thread much further than need be.