big canvas stretchers

an artist client of mine wants a canvas stretcher for a 5 foot by 8 foot painting. I know that a canvas that size is going to have a lot of tension, so the stretcher will need some cross members. just what size all of the parts need to be I don't know, though.
anybody here have resources for designing a stretcher frame this size?

canvas stretchers don't have cross members.
i'd suggest going to an art store and looking at one.
On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:09:42 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"

Big ones do.
I posted a while ago about the two jigs I use to cut frame stretchers and the corner joint. You can use one of the same jigs to wedge the end of the cross member. Behind this you can use a dovetailed half-bridle joint. There's a dovetailed dado in the frame bar and a matching tongue on the cross member that can slide freely in this. This avoids the need to cut the front edge of the frame bar, where the canvas is fastened.
--
Smert' spamionam

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:49:54 +0000, Andy Dingley

do you remember the subject line of that post?
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 10:39:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

looks like I found it: <http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=n0gul01p9r5lpmnt27p8n1l06sph3fs4lu%404ax.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dstretcher%2Bauthor:Andy%2Bauthor:Dingley%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26selm%3Dn0gul01p9r5lpmnt27p8n1l06sph3fs4lu%25404ax.com%26rnum%3D1
or: http://tinyurl.com/6p2j2