big canvas stretchers

an artist client of mine wants a canvas stretcher for a 5 foot by 8 foot painting. I know that a canvas that size is going to have a lot of tension, so the stretcher will need some cross members. just what size all of the parts need to be I don't know, though.

anybody here have resources for designing a stretcher frame this size?

Reply to
bridger

canvas stretchers don't have cross members.

i'd suggest going to an art store and looking at one.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Big ones do.

I posted a while ago about the two jigs I use to cut frame stretchers and the corner joint. You can use one of the same jigs to wedge the end of the cross member. Behind this you can use a dovetailed half-bridle joint. There's a dovetailed dado in the frame bar and a matching tongue on the cross member that can slide freely in this. This avoids the need to cut the front edge of the frame bar, where the canvas is fastened.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

do you remember the subject line of that post?

Reply to
bridger

looks like I found it:

or: