Bidding on ebay

Page 4 of 4

The other reason some use reserve pricing is to test a market. Set the reserve high and see how high the item get's bid up. Then since it didn't sell re-list it starting about where the last auction ended. The re-listing is free. It's a way to let the world do your market research for you.
hex -30-
On 25 Apr 2004 18:46:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (hex) wrote:
.

Not any more.
eBay now charges a percentage of the reserve up front. This fee is not refunded if you relist the item, only credited against the final value fees. The listing fee is free the second time around.
I recently sold a $2000 item via reserve auction, paying about $40 up front.
Barry

Another reason is based on possible ways of searching for active auctions; You can sort by current high bid. If you are looking for low cost items, a reserve makes it more likely that you will see the auction.
While I don't much care for it myself, I have noticed that people get caught up in "auction fever" when it looks like there is a competitive bidding war in progress. I have seen stuff languish for days only to be bid way past what they are worth (to me, anyway) within minutes of my own bid...
snipped-for-privacy@FreshCoffee.biz http://www.freshcoffee.biz
People do reserves so they can get some bidding started and still not have to sell at a price below their (secret) minimum. I personally dislike this tactic and ignore reserve auctions as a bidder (I think they betray a certain lack of candor on the part of the seller - although some people actually tell you their reserve in the text of their ad) and never use them as a seller (and I've bought/sold a LOT of stuff on eBay).
After all, what is the point? you get a bunch of people to bid at a level that you will not accept? You will not sell to them anyway. Also, you end up paying the same eBay fee that you would if you had a simple auction, so you save nothing. What I find more effective is to start the auction either at a buck (you get lots of action) or at a level just below what you think you need.
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."
Don't take eBay auctions to personally. Win some, lose some. Last November/December I paid about $175.00 for 7 different planes in 6 different auctions (#3 through #7, a #4 1/2 and a #5 1/2). Got great deals because there were about 12 other auctions I bailed out on when the price went to high and also lost a few bids in the last minute. I also sold my #5 Clifton, which was only 6 months old, for $160.00 to pay for all those gorgeous old Stanleys. The Clifton is about $200 brand new.
From a sellers perspective, the reserve is the minimum price I'm willing to accept for the item. The minimum bid is just a starting point and can be quite arbitrary. You could start at the reserve price, but the high start price might scare off curious bidders. Ultimately, and rightfully, the market for the item is what will determine how much you get or pay for the item regardless of the starting point.
Not bidding on items because you don't know the reserve is ridiculous. Your bidding should always be based upon how much you desire the item and how much you want to pay for it. Set your price, keep your discipline, and don't worry about being out bid. Again, don't take eBay auctions to personally.
My .02...
kevinb

Right on, Kevin.
Does anyone beside me do this....If I've decided to bid on an item, I first look to see what the shipping costs are and subtract it from the highest I want to pay. Example: If the shipping is $8, and I want to pay a max of $20, my max bid will be $12.
I bid on ebay to buy things CHEAP. I hate it when I see people bidding an item up to retail (or beyond). Idiots ! Cheers! Joe kb8qlr (291 ebay feedbacks)

i think lots of people lose out on auctions because of the perception that shipping costs are too high. which works out for me because i can add and subtract.
im with you. i take my maximum price im willing to pay, subtract the shipping whether its 10 cents or 100 dollars, and make that my highest bid.
too many people think they have to win by getting the item no matter what instead of winning by not getting the item and not paying too much.
randy

True, they bid and bid like dorks one time after the next as if it were literaly a race to "win", they're only raising the price for zero reasons.
Alex

up so I upped my (final) bid to $30.00. Still reserve has not been met. I have seen planes before for around $35.00, so think I'll let this one go on. If anyone would care to look at it and tell me what they think, the # is 3287862712 . Might give me some clue for the next time. Thanks all.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Another suggestion: Check the auction end time. Some sellers list their item during an afternoon...which means the end of auction is in the afternoon. Alot fewer people are watching auctions during this time period and unless they prebid - there are some deals to be had.
On 27 Apr 2004 02:14:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnomore (Glider Rider) wrote:

The problem is that eBay extends auctions. The ending times of mine seem to change on a regular basis.
Also remember, afternoon in the Eastern US is morning in the Western US, and evening 'cross the pond. <G>
Barry

eBay doesn't extend auctions. The individual sellers can extend their auctions under certain circumstances.
There are *other* auction sites that will automatically extend an auction if there is a bid placed in the last few minutes. This discourages 'sniping' by rendering it ineffective. I'm a bit surprised that eBay doesn't do this, because it would probably increase their income (final value fees).
snipped-for-privacy@FreshCoffee.biz http://www.freshcoffee.biz

Actually, they do. Sometimes a system problem will occur and they'll add hours to auctions. It's happened to me as a seller on several occasions.
Barry

Check this out: <http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/everyone-outage.html
Barry