Bicycle wheel truing stand.

Unfortunately the imgur new software is not displaying in the correct order after re-arranging. Go to the end of the pics in the link.
All holes drilled have brass bushings to prevent the threads from eating the wood away.
My son is racing so I built this to keep his wheels true.
http://imgur.com/a/jBPzI#17
"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

Nice. Did you build a dishing tool, too? Kerry
On 8/11/2012 5:24 PM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:

No not yet. One thing at a time.
He hasn't mentioned he wants one yet. Seems like a piece of cake. Probably I would use simple T - Track. But I don't know yet.
I liked the idea of knowing how much it was out with the dial. Not sure he needs it, but I offered it when I saw that HF had a coupon for the indicator. I think the points will be enough, if he doesn't use the dial, I'll get it back.
The points are just dowels painted red on hangar wire. Make a nice sound when it rubs...
"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

Can the points and the dial indicator be positioned to show how round the wheel is? A very useful feature (at least, when the tire is removed). Kerry
tiredofspam wrote:

In the olden days we just turned the bike upside down and gave the wheel a spin, then held a piece of chalk close enough to the side of the tire that it would mark the high places. Where the mark was we tightened the spokes from the other side of the hub. Then did it again marking the other side of the wheel, etc. Close enough for country boys who had never seen a caliper brake.
--
G.W. Ross

You've certainly got smooth skin -
As mentioned, a dishing tool and roundness tool are essential. Essential. A roundness gauge could be made by fastening a board across the front of the stand with a stick going out to the rim. The dishing tool could be a U shaped stick with a copper tube in the center. Copper tube would go over the smaller diameter outer ends of the axles.