bicycle meets car car wins

Page 3 of 4
(Mike Reed) wrote:

Agreed. That was my first season as a road cyclist. 13 years later, I now assume that nobody can see me. Haven't been hit since, after more than 100,000 miles. There's been lots of stuff I've had to react to though...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Mike Reed) wrote:

I, too, assume that I'm invisible to drivers. Where possible, I try to make eye contact with a driver before doing anything that will put me in a hazardous position with his/her vehicle. Most of the time this works. However, a couple of years ago I'm commuting to work. I come to an intersection. Guy heading in the opposite direction in a high end mercedes covertible is signalling left turn. I look at him. It sure looks like he is looking right at me. So, I keep going (it's a light controlled intersection). He then turns left right into me. I see it happening and I start yelling-- a trick I picked up many years ago). He has the top down and it isn't that noisy so he hears me. Well, don't know if he was drunk, stoned, or just stupid. I don't go down (probably because he isn't moving that fast). But I do end up with my left foot on his hood. Guy looks at me like I'm the one at fault. So, I gave his hood a love tap before leaving.
david
snipped-for-privacy@mailbag.com (David E. Penner) wrote in message
Guy looks at me

Yeah, I took a core-sample of someone's door once with my MTB handlebar. She deserved it. Turns out the material from the sample is from the industrial era. I had to drill it and pull it out with a sheet metal screw.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike Reed) writes:

I was once waiting in a line of cars at a light (about 4th in line), and some bozo didn't stop and hit me from behind. Pushed my bike (a 3-speed schwinn :-) onto the trunk of the car in front of me, and left me standing with about 12 inches between the two bumpers. Shook for a week. He did buy me a new Schwinn World Sport (1981 or thereabouts).
scott

It's a visual thing. The guy was probably watching the bumper of the car and not the small profile of you. In a panic stop, people will drive right into the car ahead because that is what they are looking at. They should be looking at a spot behind the car.

that would be pretty bad indeed.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 05:40:15 GMT, Steve Knight

Glad you're OK. Helmets are great things. Almost 20 years ago I did a one point landing from my mountain bike off a jump. Dropped about 8 feet vertically onto my forehead. Destroyed the helmet and shortened my neck/spine by and inch and a half. Without the helmet there is little chance I would have survived.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

hell that's nothing I fell about that far when I was about 5 off a slide onto my head. then wandered around and got hit by a car I guess (G)
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:25:21 GMT, Steve Knight

We won't talk about my getting dropped on my head as a child, OK?
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Steve Knight wrote:

I am glad you are OK and well. Cars almost always win those confrontations. I have had them run my little butt off the road a few times and ran into a door as it was opened.
I am glad that you were wearing your helmet too. They are kinda goofy and definitely not the macho thing to wear but they will save yer noggin'!
Philski
philski wrote:

Doors can be bad news. Was coming out of class at Georgia Tech one day and there's this woman stopped in the middle of the road outside the building. She opens her door and about that time some guy on a Harley comes around the corner way too fast and lands himself in traction after he hits the door. I was surprised that she wasn't injured--I would have expected that much bike to slam the door into her pretty hard.

--
--John

goofy but good. now I hope to find how bad my bike is off today. I see about 600.00 in damage so far.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Of all of the things our kids have done right, making our grandchildren wear helmets before they can mount a bike is close to the top of the list. Thankfully I have never had to replace a helmet because of impact but I still expect it to happen someday.

If her insurer won't pay, take her to small claims court.

Don't forget the replacement helmet. And any clothes that got torn as a result of the rough landing.

Short answer: The insurance company issue is not _your_ problem. Either her insurance pays, or she does. Which one is between _her_ and her insurance.
Either you get what it takes to 'make you whole' (everything as it was _before_ the accident), or you go to court. For _just_ the 'property damage', it is well within the limits of "small claims" -- for which the 'court costs' are likely something in the range of $20. Maybe another $30-50, if they have to have the bailiff actually deliver the summons in person. You include those costs in addition to the 'actual' damages, in figuring out how much you file the suit for. It is an open-and-shut case, particularly if she admitted liability in the presence of the police officer, or *any* other witness at the scene.
Seriously, the insurance company should _jump_ at the chance to settle for the 'property damage' costs *only*. 'Total liability' includes the value of the time you were off work (I think that's 1-1/2 days -- rest of the day of the accident, plus the next day -- figured on a "gross revenue", not 'net profit" basis), plus 'something' for the "aches and pains" that persisted past that point, _plus_ rental of a replacement bicycle until repairs on yours are completed (or, alternatively an amount for 'loss of use' of your 'vehicle', until repairs are complete -- industry standard value for loss-of-use was $15/day in 1975, inflation has to have pushed that to at least $25/day now.)
By the time you get done adding up all these "incidentals", the grand total is easily double (to close to triple) the figures you've mentioned. Before accounting for the 'intangibles' -- aches/pains/etc.

drivers insurance eagerly paid for a replacement bike, medical expenses, and a small amount for P&S.
-Bruce

Glad you made it okay. Replace the helmet, it did it's job and is a consumable item.
Wes
Trek 8700/Trek 1100 PB 251 miles in 24hrs