bicycle meets car car wins

Page 2 of 4
J. Clarke did say:

It's certainly important for cyclists to understand the rules of the road. More-so since we'll pay a higher price for misunderstandings than the multi-ton machines we butt heads with.
I do understand that it is frustrating to be stuck behind someone slow, especially when they've ignored opportunities to allow faster traffic to pass safely. Some, unlike you, choose to physically remove the obstacle from their path - endangering lives to alleviate their frustration. I'm likely to pull around these inconsiderate cyclists at the first safe opportunity to do so, then stop a ways ahead, and when they catch up offer them my view of how an experienced rider might have ridden that stretch of road. I've done that a few times, and have never had an unpleasant interaction with them. Cyclists, like woodworkers, are always interested in knowing how to engage in their pastime safely. Since that means less worry and fear, that almost always translates into more enjoyably.
As for riding a bicycle against traffic on a busy Interstate... Well, there's natural selection to consider.

rude cyclists like rude drivers give everyone a bad rep.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

I have seen enough of these. more then good cyclists I think. three feet is how much there should be. most of the time I ride cars can pass me and not cross the yellow line. sometimes they have to a bit if there are a bunch of parked cars and I need door clearance. but even then there is usually room. the only time I block traffic is if I am going straight but plan on turning really soon. but if they get delayed more then 10 seconds it would be rare.

yes this is a big problem. hell that's how I learned to do it till I got wise. Most of the time I am in more danger of other cyclists and peds then cars. wrong way cyclists and peds going to cars without looking.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

on the road, take a moment to notice how people in cars get MUCH closer to them than they would to another car. They should really give two wheelers more room than normal for safety's sake. I guess people don't feel threatened by the smaller vehicle, and feel safe themselves. Give us a little more room, please. </Preach Mode>
Hmmm...you know, you're right. I never noticed that. I've actually done that. I'll think twice about it next time.
My pet peeve is bike riders who ride down the center of the lane like they own the road, and expect you to pass them on a double yellow or a blind curve. While car drivers definitely don't give bike riders enough room, I see plenty of bike riders who aren't aware of what the road looks like from the car point of view. I do that now when I ride my bike -- if I'm on a blind curve, or a hill where there is no way a car could see past me enough to pass safely, I make sure I'm as far to the right as possible.
mark did say:

Usually, that is the best way. But, on some roads where there isn't enough room on the right side for a cyclist to ride, and for a car to pass them without at least partially crossing the centerline, it is safer for the cyclist to get out in the road. People will literally nudge you with their rear view mirrors in an attempt to pass you without crossing the centerline. I've had it happen. When the road is too narrow, I'd rather have people waiting behind me for a couple of seconds while I round the curve than be pushed into the ditch by an impatient driver.

Yeah, good point.

it's more the outside shoulders. I used my arms I think to try to stop the fall. they are just the typical sore muscles. but they tend to stiffen up fast. my lag never did because I walked on it so much afterwards.

I am pretty safe. cycling is far safer then walking or sitting on the couch. I have had far more close calls walking then anything else.

that's usually not a problem here. but I am never way over on the right either. sometimes some kid gets pretty close though.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
<snip>

I've never ridden a motorcycle, but I give 'em lots of room because I know they can stop in feet where it takes my car yards.
I especially hate the $#@%$#% who will pass me to get between me and the biker because I leave so much room.
Mike
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Way back when, I had a touring bike, with the _big_ baskets on it. As I lived at the very outskirts of town, and sometimes rode the rural roads after dark, I had a _full_size_ "slow moving vehicle" reflective emblem across the back of the baskets. I guarantee you I was 'highly visible' from behind. Night -or- day. <grin>
One day, I'm riding *in* town, make a left turn at the tail end of the light onto a 4-lane road, into an extended up-hill section. Of course, as soon as I've made the turn, I move to curb-side, and here comes the straight traffic, as the light has changed. First up in the outside lane (where I am now) is a semi, with trailer. He just _sat_ there, about 30' (seemed closer!) behind me, for almost 3 blocks -- until he could swing _completely_ into the center lane to pass me.
That was the _first_ time anybody gave me a 'full lane' while I was on a bicycle. Somewhat disconcerting, having that "big rig" close behind me, for that extended distance, but it was nice that he didn't try to crowd past.

Your request is perfectly reasonable and in fact I make it a practice to observe this. On the other side of the coin is a driver's request of cyclists to exhibit the same degree of caution and concern. Don't ride right on the white line when there is 8 feet of paved shoulder. Don't look back under your arm while you're riding and have your bike veer out into the traffic lane. Remember that you're much slower than traffic and extend the courtesy of freeing up the traffic lane. Don't ride two abreast right on the very edge of the driving lane. Please do remember that you're taunting a one and a half ton vehicle and it's not worth the price simply to demonstrate some point.
Since I'm not a bike rider, my perspective is probably different than yours - mine is exclusively that of a driver. From my perspective, I see more cyclists that taunt drivers by insisting on a piece of the road that they really don't need when there is a perfectly good paved shoulder, and I see more cyclists doing things that put them in the path of a car than I do drivers who don't give room to cyclists.
Both can coexist on the roads but both have to yield a little courtesy to the other.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

I'm glad to hear that you're OK and that she admitted guilt and paid. RE: the bike, more often it pays to get a new one vs. trying to repair a sprung frame. Look for new replacement bikes, then take both figures to the lady. She might even spring for an upgrade since you haven't threatened to sue her. Remember the fluorescent vest, helmet, and your xenon flasher/lights next time, eh?
Did I tell you I finally fixed that shoulder plane of yours? The second brass strip fell off (mine was an early model before you found that the epoxy didn't hold metal to wood really well) so I put a jarrah sole on it. She's sweet again.
The LVT flushcut saw worked well and was small enough to fit inside the throat to cut the mouth. I used my new Japan Woodworker ryoba to cut the ends off.
-- SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly! ---------- http://diversify.com Poly-free Website Development
On

well she has not paid yet but she will I think. the bike needs checked out. but it is a good steel frame so lets keep the fingers crossed. it is a custom Italian steel frame about 12 years old. but the matching fork is toast. had a orange jersey on but I admit I had forgotten to turn on the flasher. I am not used to riding in the middle of the day and I was in a bit of a hurry. but in this case it would not have mattered.

that was a failure. epoxy and brass don't work. know what does? goop. that stuff is great for metal and wood.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 05:40:15 GMT, Steve Knight

Steve,
    Glad to hear you are OK.

Ouch! That hurts, just *reading* about it. Glad you had the helmet on, Steve. Keep us posted.

it hurt but not as bad as I thought it would. a little Tylenol and some bengay and I am ok. yes I checked it out today and the front was broken and it was almost cracked in half. I would have been in the ambulance without it.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Not necessarily. Maybe a bag in the back of a pickup truck. :(
When we rode as kids, helmets were not invented yet for cycling. With the traffic today, It is dumb to venture out with bare head. Glad yours worked for you. Ed
Steve Knight wrote:

shouldn't be driving.

unless you can find a used one. And, you'll be lucky if the wheel isn't sprung. Make sure they check the frame, especially the downtube, for signs of buckling, and that the rear derailleur dropout is still true.
Regards, Gary
On 11 Oct 2004 08:25:18 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gator.net (Gary Greenberg) wrote:

I think it will be time for the dreaded carbon fork (G) I am having him check everything to make sure nothing is missed.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
I'm glad to hear you're ok. It's pretty scary getting hit.

On 11 Oct 2004 06:40:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Mike Reed) wrote:

yes I had one close encounter that was the same but from the left years ago. we both stopped at the same time. but I never trust drivers so someone running a red light would not hit me because I expect them to do it.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes