bicycle meets car car wins

J. Clarke did say:

I think you're on to something there...

Reply to
WoodMangler

yep even when I had a really close call. it was the same situation but a guy turning left. we both stopped just as we touched. it was sure hard to ride 5 minutes later as I was shaking so hard (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

the cop showed up. but I don't think he did anything. the ambulance took the report.

Reply to
Steve Knight

(G)

it's pretty good here too. I have not had any real close encounters since I started riding again a year ago. 15 years ago it was worse. I don't ride on busy streets if I can help it though.

yes I was really pissed at first but she was so nice that did not last.

they would look cool but your neck would regret it (G)

bikes are pretty safe if you follow road rules. most accidents are from stupid riders. but walking is far more dangerous. or being a couch potato will more likely kill you.

Reply to
Steve Knight

it's more the outside shoulders. I used my arms I think to try to stop the fall. they are just the typical sore muscles. but they tend to stiffen up fast. my lag never did because I walked on it so much afterwards.

I am pretty safe. cycling is far safer then walking or sitting on the couch. I have had far more close calls walking then anything else.

that's usually not a problem here. but I am never way over on the right either. sometimes some kid gets pretty close though.

Reply to
Steve Knight

I have seen enough of these. more then good cyclists I think. three feet is how much there should be. most of the time I ride cars can pass me and not cross the yellow line. sometimes they have to a bit if there are a bunch of parked cars and I need door clearance. but even then there is usually room. the only time I block traffic is if I am going straight but plan on turning really soon. but if they get delayed more then 10 seconds it would be rare.

yes this is a big problem. hell that's how I learned to do it till I got wise. Most of the time I am in more danger of other cyclists and peds then cars. wrong way cyclists and peds going to cars without looking.

Reply to
Steve Knight

On

well she has not paid yet but she will I think. the bike needs checked out. but it is a good steel frame so lets keep the fingers crossed. it is a custom Italian steel frame about 12 years old. but the matching fork is toast. had a orange jersey on but I admit I had forgotten to turn on the flasher. I am not used to riding in the middle of the day and I was in a bit of a hurry. but in this case it would not have mattered.

that was a failure. epoxy and brass don't work. know what does? goop. that stuff is great for metal and wood.

Reply to
Steve Knight

I've never ridden a motorcycle, but I give 'em lots of room because I know they can stop in feet where it takes my car yards.

I especially hate the $#@%$#% who will pass me to get between me and the biker because I leave so much room.

Mike

Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

rude cyclists like rude drivers give everyone a bad rep.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Steve,

Glad to hear you are OK.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Ouch! That hurts, just *reading* about it. Glad you had the helmet on, Steve. Keep us posted.

Doug Miller

it hurt but not as bad as I thought it would. a little Tylenol and some bengay and I am ok. yes I checked it out today and the front was broken and it was almost cracked in half. I would have been in the ambulance without it.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Not necessarily. Maybe a bag in the back of a pickup truck. :(

When we rode as kids, helmets were not invented yet for cycling. With the traffic today, It is dumb to venture out with bare head. Glad yours worked for you. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm glad to hear you're ok. It's pretty scary getting hit.

I spent a week in the hospital with a punctured lung when an old lady ran a stop sign and hit me on my bike.

"I feel your pain"

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

I can empathize; I've been hit twice so far. Some drivers just shouldn't be driving.

A replacement fork for an Italian racing bike will set you back hundreds unless you can find a used one. And, you'll be lucky if the wheel isn't sprung. Make sure they check the frame, especially the downtube, for signs of buckling, and that the rear derailleur dropout is still true.

Regards, Gary

Reply to
Gary Greenberg

I think it will be time for the dreaded carbon fork (G) I am having him check everything to make sure nothing is missed.

Reply to
Steve Knight

yes I had one close encounter that was the same but from the left years ago. we both stopped at the same time. but I never trust drivers so someone running a red light would not hit me because I expect them to do it.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Glad you're OK. Helmets are great things. Almost 20 years ago I did a one point landing from my mountain bike off a jump. Dropped about 8 feet vertically onto my forehead. Destroyed the helmet and shortened my neck/spine by and inch and a half. Without the helmet there is little chance I would have survived.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I was once waiting in a line of cars at a light (about 4th in line), and some bozo didn't stop and hit me from behind. Pushed my bike (a 3-speed schwinn :-) onto the trunk of the car in front of me, and left me standing with about

12 inches between the two bumpers. Shook for a week. He did buy me a new Schwinn World Sport (1981 or thereabouts).

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It's a visual thing. The guy was probably watching the bumper of the car and not the small profile of you. In a panic stop, people will drive right into the car ahead because that is what they are looking at. They should be looking at a spot behind the car.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski