Bewildered

SWMBO had a large mirror with a metal frame that she didn't like. A few days ago, she asked me to make her a new wooden frame.
Requirement was for something that looked as though it was made 150 years ago by somebody living in a bush shanty, who had only an axe and a chisel and no woodworking skills. This was the result:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32473839@N02
SWMBO was delighted with the it, (complete with bent rusty nails.) Oldest daughter saw it and now wants one too ....... amazing ...... I have a shed full of woodworking tools and machinery, yet this is what they want. : )
Bewildered in Oz
diggerop wrote:

Now WHOA there pardner! You're not coming in here expecting some kind of answer for this "bewildered" condition you're describing, are you?

Heh. I was hoping there was a "Woman Whisperer" in the group who could explain the strange behaviour of these woman critturs.
diggerop
diggerop wrote:

Shhyeeah. Like one of *those* exists! :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

I usually get slapped for the things I whisper to women. <shrug>
-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

You didn't hand-forge the nails?

I stared and stared... Is it cherry? Maybe I'm not looking at it at the right angle? To your credit, you were successful in meeting the requirements specification--and the mirror is still in one piece too! : )
Bill

I have no idea what the wood is. It was transit protection for a telecommunications cable drum. It's predominantly sapwood, *very* light, splits easily, quite soft.
The fragile appearance is an illusion, the frame is a lot more robust than it appears, - triangular 3 ply backing gussets on the joints, screwed and glued. I cheated on the rebate for the mirror, - used a router.
It was an interesting experience taking care to make something deliberately rough. More work involved in that than doing it properly.
diggerop
My dad once made a table for my mom, but had a hard time getting a finish on it he liked. He was halfway through stripping yet another attempt off when my mom saw it and said "That's PERFECT! Just like that!"

Where is the duct tape and baling wire?
LOL

Interesting.
If you have even a very inexpensive wet saw, you can make a very creative mirror "frame" using marble or slate. In our mountain cabin, we had an entry that really needed a nice mirror. At Home Depot, I purchased a 24 X 36" plate glass mirror (no bevel) and glued it to the wall of the entry way, using 8d nails into the drywall beneath the mirror to support it until the glue dried.
The following day, I bought and ripped some slate floor tile that matched the colors of a fireplace in an adjoining room. I ripped the 12" slate tiles into 1", 2" and 3" pieces and then began surrounding the mirror with them, cut to random lengths. I began with the 1" surrounding the mirror, using Liquid Nails as the adhesive and straight pins to hold the slate pieces onto the drywall until the Liquid Nails set. Making sure no seams were the same, I then moved to the 2" pieces using the same technique, followed by the 3" ones. That gave me a 6" surround, which looked just fine.
No attempt was made to grout any gaps and the slightly rustic look of the irregular seams was perfect for what I wanted to do.
--
Nonny

Have you ever wondered if the bills
diggerop wrote:

Can't help you with the wimmin part, but that would sell by the hundreds at craft fairs here in Texas.
There's riches in niches, and money where you least expect it. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08