BEWARE: Harbor Freight poor customer service...

Page 5 of 6
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:27:23 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

So? If you have a disputed charge -- pay the full amount to the CC company, the amount is still in dispute and should you prevail, you will have a credit. If the adjudication crosses billing periods, you will not have to worry about interest or late charges, and if your case is refused, you won't have late charges or interest added to your account as you would if you had not paid the amount.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Right that is what I did. The only problem is when you need an item right away, you pay for the one in dispute and buy another. In my case that meant making a check out twice for about $2,000. I had the money so it wasn't a big problem that I didn't get all of my original $2000 back for 3 months. For someone on tight finances it could be difficult.
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:32:37 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Agreed. The only plus side is that this means of payment at least provides a mechanism for getting one's money back. Paying by check or other means to such a company and you've got nothing.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Umm, No. We are not talking about a fly by night company. If I had paid by check it would have been easy, I would have simply canceled the check at a cost of $7.00. My case is a bit unusual. I had to buy the item (meaning charged on my card) before Jan 1 to deduct the cost on my income tax. I tried to get Dell to simply bill it before Jan 1 but I didn't really care about the delivery time, but they wouldn't bill until shipped. I kept getting a later and later shipping date. When I got a notice of delivery in the middle of January, I canceled the Dell order and ordered from Gateway because they agreed to bill my card immediately and they did. Unfortunately, Dell delivered the stuff 3 days later (about December 21) after I had canceled it so I refused delivery. Of course their biggest screw up was sending me a message that delivery be very delayed when it was already shipped.
If they had communications among their various departments, all would have been well, but obviously the shipping, billing, and sales departments didn't communicate. As it was, the three boxes went back immediately, but the real hangup was that at their shipping dock, they immediately rerouted a $500 monitor to another customer and it was delivered. All that info was fully available on the shipping routing through the Internet, but Dell couldn't find it and then they couldn't credit it correctly to me, etc., etc. I think you call it incompetent cooperation.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Either you need a new credit card provider, you're not in the US, or there is more to this story.
Barry
"George E. Cawthon" wrote:

No, that's the way it is, by law (US Fair Credit Act). But only if you make the complaint and follow up according to the rules are they obliged.
Here's a link to a summary of the provisions of the Act...
http://www.creditinfocenter.com/cards/crbillng.shtml#Question4
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 01:14:06 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

Actually, I was talking about Harbor Freight, not Dell. The original poster said that HF refused to help, hence my suggestion to go back to the CC company.
Assuming that the actual company does offer to reimburse you, then complaining to the CC company isn't the way to go.
I would probably not order from Harbor Freight, but I do visit their store once a year for cheap unusual items. Your waiting time is unacceptable. My last bad experience with customer service (10 years ago) was with Burlington Coat Factory where I avoid shopping. Thankfully, I have not had any bad experiences ordering tools. Before ordering, I check a few web sites and check out www.epinons.com where you may want to share your experience.
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:02:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@harborfreight.com wrote:

I order from HF online almost every month... gets here sooner than they say it will and everything in good shape... My only problem with them is that they don't automatically give you tracking info, you have to call them to get it.. no problem..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

You have a problem somewhere else. I have been dealing with Harbor freight for over 20 years and have had no problems whatsoever. I'm not saying you CAN'T have a problem with them, but it just sounds like a problem with the transporter....

Yes, but the test of good customer service is how they treat you when something goes wrong. I have had incredible experiences with Dell, Amazon, Lands End, Newegg, etc. If there is ever a problem, they ship out replacements the next day -- they don't make you wait for months.
Again, I am *not* saying that the original problem is HF's fault -- just that when something goes wrong they don't jump to correct it.
snipped-for-privacy@harborfreight.com wrote:

AFAIK, HF has nothing that cannot be purchased elsewhere. How much did you save by buying online from HF vs say Lee Valley? Whatever you saved they made up some portion of that savings in crappy customer service. I have a local HF and shop there now and then for 'disposable' stuff. I'd *never* order from them by mail or online - especially after seeing some of their goods in the store.
buy anything from them just because they didn't jump up and kiss your ass??
You need to get a f*cking life, loser......
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:27:23 GMT, "Red Neckerson"

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Tue, Jan 11, 2005, 1:02am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@harborfreight.com claims: I made the mistake of placing a $300+ order with Harbor Freight just before the Holidays. <snip> Finally, today, I was told that item was delivered last week <snip>
Delivered? In that short a time? Over the holidays? From Harbor Freight?
That alone makes me not believe you..
JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:02:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@harborfreight.com wrote:
Sounds to me that your problem is with UPS, not HF???
If you ship something I bought from you, and USP screws up, I'm gonna jump on UPS, not you... YMMV

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Easy solution....Get a post office box at a UPS store and all the deliveries go there. They will call you and inform you if something arrives....or you can call them to check....works for me!...Ross
Sounds like a case of misplaced anger. I've never purchased from HF, but by your own admission, UPS is responsible for your lost items; not HF.
David
snipped-for-privacy@harborfreight.com wrote:

"Sounds like a case of misplaced anger. I've never purchased from HF,
but by your own admission, UPS is responsible for your lost items; not HF."
I wouldn't be so quick to assume it's UPS's fault. As I posted previously, I know I've received UPS shipments where they would not leave it without a signature. I believe this is still an option, which apparently the shipper in this case chose not to make.
Second, I think the OP's main point was not that it happened, or who's fault it was, but that he needs what he bought and the vendor is unwilling to do anything to get something to him now, even if he backs up a second order with a credit card. Now that is just piss poor customer service.
UPS policy is to settle with the sender so it is Harbor Freight's problem to fix.