BEWARE: Harbor Freight poor customer service...

Page 2 of 6

My UPS guy is great. While he doesn't ask for a signature he always rings the doorbell when he drops off a package. I work out of my garage workshop and I am in clear view of the street with the door open. I only average one or two deliveries a month but the UPS driver always honks and waves as he drives by every day. nice guy and good service. Maybe you should add a roof to your porch to keep packages out of the rain.
Bruce

snipped-for-privacy@spiritone.com writes:

Wow. That just hasn't been my experience. I've always used UPS because they are so much more reliable than the post office. Our driver(s) always knock and get signatures (or leave a tag for later pickup) unless I've left a note directing them to leave the expected package. Because I've always had a covered porch, left in the rain hasn't been a problem.
It sounds like my good experiences have not been reflective of those of others. In your case, you live just a few miles from me (unless that's Portland, Maine, which likely doesn't have an international airport), just across the river.

It sounds like more and more, the only way to get good service is to be there face-to-face and, even then, it's questionable. Such a sad state of things. :-(
Glenna
glenna writes:

Why wouldn't Portland, ME have an international airport? It's a neat little city and an IA isn't much of a distinguishing factor, since all it requires is flights coming in and going out to a foreign country. Canadian planes are a hop, skip and plop from Maine.
Charlie Self "One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above that which is expected." George W. Bush
<<Why wouldn't Portland, ME have an international airport? It's a neat little city and an IA isn't much of a distinguishing factor, since all it requires is flights coming in and going out to a foreign country. Canadian planes are a hop, skip and plop from Maine.>>
Portland, ME not only has an international airport, the facility's offical name is Portland International Jetport. http://www.portlandjetport.org / However, I don't believe they have any regularly scheduled direct overseas flights via major carriers. I'm pretty sure they do have flights to and from the Maritime provinces.
Lee

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:36:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@pmug.org (Glenna Rose) wrote:

Oh, way back when I was regularly receiving things from UPS, they were a problem. In fact, the driver routinely left my packages at another person's house. Why? We never could figure it out since the street names and numbers weren't even close, but he would just drop whatever he felt like there and I'd have to fight to have him go get it again. It usually took an extra day or two for them to correct their mistakes, once I got done fighting with them.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme writes:

Ouch.
Sorry, Charlie. (Gawd, that sounds like a tuna commercial.)
PDX is the designation for Portland International Airport which was my reference, and really only meant that there would not be two PDX designations.
I am, however, surprised to learn that Portland, Maine, has a designated international airport. What is its airport designation (as SEA for Sea/Tac in Seattle, Washington; PDX for Portland, Oregon, LAX for Los Angeles [also international designated], etc.)? I guess I think of the area as being more rural; read too many old novels about the beauty of the Maine countryside perhaps.
Perhaps the international designations were made in a time when Portland, Maine, was smaller. I don't happen to have any of my ex's Jepson Manuals to look at, or not that I could find if I do have them packed in a box somewhere that has been unopened for 20+ years. (That '71 Chev is going to be making many trips to the dump come summer!)
Glenna (who still bets PDX David is referring to Portland, Oregon, near the mighty Columbia River, not Portland, Maine)
Glenna responds:

Maine is gorgeous: if you ever get a chance, see Acadia National Park. I'm not really sure Portland has an international airport, but it's a possibility. I used to visit Maine regularly when my kid sister was alive--she lived in a place called East Blue Hill--and discovered, to my surprise, that Bangor Airport was international, even though it has about as many "gates" as Roanoke (which isn't), VA airport.
And I'd bet you're right about the letter designation. It is very, very unlikely an outfit, even one as inefficient as the federal government, would assign PDX to two airports. But, hey, they hit Los Angeles with LAX, and did it long after Ex-Lax came on the market.
Charlie Self "One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above that which is expected." George W. Bush

Right. There is one PDX, but a lot of Davids posting here sometimes. I mostly lurk out here in PDX, Stumptowm, Puddletown. The Rain Planet, Slabtown, River City, Little Beirut, The Rose City, Moscow on the Willamette, Portland. We have an "international" airport, but I've always gone through customs in Seattle when traveling. I guess we have a direct flight or two to Tokyo and a few to Mexico - most everything else goes through somewhere bigger.
Not that anyone is likely to be interested, but we were named Portland by a Maine immigrant after a deciding coin toss way back when. Had the coin come other side up we would have been Boston, Oregon.
Back to lurking.
PDX David
Is this still about Harbor Freight :-)
Let's deconstruct this: 1. The order was placed just before the holidays, the busiest shipping period of the year. 2. Items arrived last week, about 2 weeks after they were ordered. 3. They were placed on the porch, but you did not notice them, or were not told they were there. 4. Harbor Freight will follow up with UPS, but their policy requires another 8-10 days to confirm with UPS and perhaps place a claim. 5. HF will reorder and redeliver, but it will take another 10-14 days, perhaps because they must get satisfaction from UPS that the items were damaged by UPS delivering them to the wrong place.
Questions: 1. Does UPS usually deliver things to your porch, or someplace else? 2. Why is it HF's policy to wait 8-10 days. Because they get fraudulent claims and take time to verify them? 3. What is your real name? Anonymity does not lend credibility.
Bob

companies seem to be satisfied with that and don't wait for the situation to be fully resolved before trying to help the customer.

up to spam and worse...

That gives rise to the question, "how often does this happen?" If it happened to me once I would arrange for packages to go to work or a neighbor who is home after that.
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!
He's not asking for your email address, just your name. What do you mean by "or worse"?
Joe

I seem to recall you making a similar claim in the rec.crafts.metalworking NG a while back Your email address seems to indicate that you have been thinking about doing harm to HF for some time. Sorry if I am skeptical about your claims.

Have never even visited rec.crafts.metalworking and have no interest in metalworking. Try again...
.

I ordered a replacement part for one of their brad guns a few years ago. The part arrived after about 2 weeks, when I open the box the part was broken worse than the one I was replacing. The box was in good shape, so it was probably broken before it was packed. After about 30 minutes on the phone they agreed to send me another part. Two weeks later (I only lived about 50 miles from their offices at the time) another box arrived. This time they sent me a 7/8" impact socket instead of the correct part. After another 1/2 hour on the phone and another week I finally got the right part.
Rick
Had dealings with HF approx 12-15 times with no problems... I suppose there is always a first but then again you can have problems with any company. Heck, I have problems with cable, telephone, check out clerk, seems like the norm now a days...... -JMHO
buck wrote:

I often feel like i serve them not the other way around. Hellooooo, good old days. Tony

In the "good old days" the price people paid included a higher markup. And "compensation" to high-end executives wasn't out of line with the people doing the actual work.

The measure of good customer service is what happens when something goes *wrong* and not when it goes right.
When I spoke with the customer service supervisor, he mentioned that they get a "large" number of better business bureau complaints regarding their service policies.
<rant snipped>
Simply ask HF for the UPS tracking #, UPS provides tracking #'s on all packages. You punch the # in online and it shows every place the package has been. This way you will be able to tell if it was even shipped. Then you can go from there instead of ranting about something that may or may not have happened, and if HF is pulling your joint.