Best wood to work with

What do you guys think is the best wood to use for woodwork ?
Here in Sweden we mostly use birch( / birch_swatch_LARGE.jpg) its easy to handle and carve in and it looks great(just check out the pic in the link above, maby thats why IKEA use them)
And my hometown is called 'Umeå' wich is known as 'björkarnas stad'(the city of birch) ( / bj_rkar_1150527049.jpg) that's how the city looks like wherever you go !
Even the local hokey team is called 'Björklöven' (the birch leaf) heres a pic
************************* From Sweden with wood...