Best wood for splines?

--I'm planning to attach some pieces via splines, as biscuits would be a real pain in this application. Sooo what wood will work best as the spline material?

Reply to
steamer

Same as the stock is best...

Specifics????

Reply to
dpb

Spliney wood?

Reply to
Russ

I don't think there's much of a problem with species, just a design choice of color. Will the splines be visible? For some applications, a contrasting wood works nicely. Also, I was taught to use a cross-grain spline, which means that the grain of the spline runs perpendicular to the edge you're gluing. This is because a spline is much easier to break with the grain than across it. If the spline is hidden, you can also consider plywood.

todd

Reply to
todd

Not so important, but use a hardwood. I use whatever scraps I can find around the shop. Make the spline with a perpendicular grain to make a stronger spline, although this is more difficult to make for longer splines.

Reply to
Phisherman

If it doesn't show, what's wrong with 1/8th or better ply? Running the grain of the plywood properly, of course. Tom

Reply to
tom

Running the grain of the plywood properly, of course. Tom

Now *that* was funny!

JC

Reply to
Joe

Why? Most thin plywood has very thin face layers, and a thicker middle layer. The ideal spline would have the face layers parallel with the grain of the boards being glued, so that the thicker middle layer is perpendicular to the grain of the boards being glued.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I was looking at from the basic plywood construction technique of alternating layers in all directions. Wasn't thinking about really thin plywood, but then, the op didn't specify a thickness.

I still think it was funny, whether it was meant to be or not.

ymhav,

jc

Reply to
Joe

I understood that too. But, orientation of the face grain of plywood IS important. For a subfloor, the recommendation is to orient the face grain across the joists. That is, for normal 4 x 8 plywood the 8 foot length spans the joists. That is supposed to be 15% stiffer than the other orientation.

There are also plywoods made with the face grain running in the 4 foot direction, and 45 degrees to both edges.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Subfloor ply is construction material, and has different construction than hardwood ply. Among other things the face plys are quite a bit thicker.

I have 1/4" hardwood plywood which has only three plys--the thin face plys and a much thicker inner layer. In this case, the ply is much stronger perpendicular to the face grain.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Oops. From now on, I'm gonna check actual stiffnesses. Have to watch for that. Thanks. Tom

Reply to
tom

Yes I think you're right.

Sometimes 1/4" hardwood plywood has a non-wood core.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt