Best wood crack filler

I've got a wood chair with a crack: less than fingernail width by 4 inches long.
What's the best product and method to hide it, that will take stain?
Thanks
I would take a surenge (sp?) filled with glue and shoot it into the crack then clamp it.
Allen

I would take a surenge (sp?) filled with glue and shoot it into the crack then clamp it.
Allen

A crack filled with anything is always going to look like a crack filled with... well you know. The best solution would be to reglue and clamp the joint. Otherwise, if the crack is simply a visual defect get a putty stick at the local home center that matches the already stained wood. These are like crayons that easily fill cracks providing they are not much wider than the Thickness of a fingernail.

the width of my fingernail is a lot more than the thickness. which measurement are you referring to?
Jim-Poncin wrote:

As Leon points out, no matter what you do, the crack will be visible.
If you truly want a structural repair, mix up some laminating epoxy with a slow hardener, then add about 5% denatured alcohol to thin the mixture.
Pour epoxy in crack, allow to set about 1-2 minutes to allow penetration, then clamp.
Lew
How about filling it with a mixture of sanding dust and glue?