Best way to repair badly designed gate

Page 1 of 2
We have a couple of wooden gates. The latches keep bnreakiong because the gates were badly designed so that all of the force of closing is borne by the latch. I would appreciate suggetsions for how to modify the gate to add some sort of "stop" to take the force off the latch.
I have uploaded several photos of the gate to this link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4vx3hg
01-02: The gate from the front, both closed and open.
03: The gate from the back.
04: The broken latch. This time, the latch got metal fatigue and broke. Other times, it has pulled the screws loose.
05: This shows that the gate has no stop other than the latch. If pushed closed without a latch, it will go well past fully shut. The latch takes the full force.
06: This shows that the side rail of the gate and the frame are the same width. One idea I had was to nail a length of 1/2" x 1/2" stock vertically onto the frame. The problem is that the gate will then not close fully. In addition to having to shim the latch, I will get grief from SWMBO because it doesn't align.
07: This shows the bottom of the gate. There is very little clearance. Another idea I had was to make a threshold with a stop similar to the idea above. The stop could be outside the frame, which would allow the gate to close fully. The downside to this is (a) the clearance and (b) it will be something to trip over.
Another idea is to fasten small "fingers" on the back side of the gate (parallel with the latch). I was thinking one at the top and one at the bottom. Maybe one in the middle. The downside of this is it is unattractive and they would be prone to stabbing someone.
My last idea is to fasten a piece of 1x5 to the front of the latch-side frame with about 1" protruding into the opening for the gate to bang against. This is minimally obtrusive and not likely to snag anyone.
Is there a better way?
PS: Sorry for cross-posting. I wasn't sure which group is the better fit.

If the gate frame is thick enough, cut a rabbet in the gate frame to fit over and bypass the fixed stop when the gate is closed. Doesn't change the alignment of the gate with the fixed frame when the gate is closed.
___________             [ __________         ___ ] ]         ] ____] _______] ] ]_____________
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

I assume this is a top view?
Is the part on the left the frame and the part on the right the gate?
To make it align properly, I'd need to cut a rabbet in both the frame post and the edge of the gate, then attach the stop (same thickness as the rabbet cut) to the gate. Right?
I foresee a couple of problems with this:
1. I can't cut the rabbet all the way to the bottom. The post is sitting on concrete and bricks. So, the stop would also not go all the way down. That's probably OK.
2. The catch on the post is very close to the edge. I'd have to see if it can be moved over past the rabbet cut.
Might be doable.
Maybe I can get a metal plate or strip to use as a stop.

Yeah, a top view. I was thinking of the part on the left being the swinging part of the gate, opening toward the top of the page. The part on the right is the gate post with a fixed stop attached to it. The fixed stop is what you were talking about as the 1/2x1/2 piece nailed to the post. The rabbet would only have to be cut in the swinging part of the gate to fit over the stop which would be nailed, or otherwise attached to the post.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Especially when the download is limited to 80KB unless you upgrade to Max which costs 6 dollars a week and 100 dollars a year. Boing!!!
Other people find free places to post their pictures, at least that are free to us.

Well, I honestly feel that the 32 seconds I spent downloading the file wasn't a very heavy burden. At zero financial cost to me, BTW.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

I didn't even try because of the ridiculous requirement to enable scripts.

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 21:13:40 -0500, Gary H

I've used that site many times in the past and no one has complained. I didn't realize that it required scripts. But I've only uploaded, never downloaded.
Do you know of a bettetr place to post the photos?
As for the size, each photo is almost 2MB. I uploaded 7 different views. I can set the camera for lower resolution and reshoot.

alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking would be appropriate since it is considered the sister image newsgroup to rec.woodworking. Most/many people won't download large images, so I'd suggest the maximum you make them would be 600-800 pixels wide. If there's a particular area you want to focus on (such as the latch on your gate), then take a picture of the gate at high resolution and crop the image to just the latch itself, again nothing wider than the suggestion above. Also suggest you don't upload more than two or three images at a time if they're large resolution.

Except for the fact that most major ISPs don't carry binary groups anymore... GRRRR.
Prof Wonmug wrote:

Flickr.com is free (as long as you don't do too much volume) to both post and view, requires no registration or login or anything else to view, automatically creates thumbnails in several sizes, and once you have set up your account and installed their uploader software it's drag-and-drop convenient.
J. Clarke wrote:

I'll second the vote for flickr.com. The a.b.p.w newsgroup might otherwise be the obvious choice, but these days it seems most people no longer have access to the binary groups unless they're willing to pay extra for the service. flickr.com is free, easy to use, and has a lot of nice features.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Mark Lloyd wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/3026461692 /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/2200236174 /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/336792852 /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/2624791390 /
J. Clarke wrote:

Follow the link in my sig for more examples.

Nice rocking chair, that honey locust is.
RicodJour wrote:

Thanks! :-)
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 14:20:50 -0400, "J. Clarke"

The thing keeps wanting me to enable scripts, like most commercial sites do. However, it does work properly without them.
That site is something I could mention if I'm asked to recommend something.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler /
My current Flickr postings to go along with current Usenet newsgroup discussions. Free, easy, and people don't have the aversion to using it as when they have to watch ads or download files that come from a place that leads off with advertising.
Steve

Absolutely unnecessary to make them that large.

Most folks won't bother downloading 14MB of still images of a gate. Stills of Jennifer Anniston, maybe....

There are numerous programs available, free, which can resize images to whatever size you want. IrfanView is one of the best.