Best way to drill a 1" hole through 2" thick maple?

That's very similar to how I enlarged a hole in tile using a diamond hole saw.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yep.

Do something similar to setup my 35mm bit for drilling various overly Euro hinge holes in cabinet doors:

Reply to
Swingman

But how in the world do you keep that bit from flexing? :-D

Reply to
-MIKE-

I think I'd use the final size drill to drill a shallow hole - 1/8" deep would be enough, then drill a through hole with the smaller drill. Finally, go back to the full-size drill, and use the shallow hole to position it correctly.

Reply to
Peter Bennett

That's a great idea for those without a drill press and/or way to clamp to the press' table.

Reply to
-MIKE-

JB Weld :) Plus some duct tape.

Reply to
dadiOH

---------------------------------------------------------------------- If the quill of your drill press provides enough stroke to allow changing bits without moving the piece, you are good to go; however, if not you introduce another chance for error.

Since we are only talking about a 1" dia. hole in a 2" piece of stock, why fool around with it?

Make once pass as fast as possible with a forstner to minimize heat build up and get on with it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Just give it up already. I offered advice that works and is a good technique. You keep trying (even in this post) to come up with bullshit reasons why you think something I've done successfully and with great result dozens of time won't work. Just stop. It's embarrassing.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"Peter Bennett" wrote

I could buy that. I just do not see the need. A Forstner bit is going to trim the hole to the size each time it is withdrawn for chip removal and goes back in again. What is to be gained by changing sizes, then?

And yes, I have forstner bits starting at 1/4" and going up to 2 3/4"ths, I think. I still say that using my drill press or yours, it will chatter when starting a hole without wood on the center of the bit.

Reply to
Morgans

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

+1

Reply to
Morgans

If the stock is held securely, ie: clamped, it won't chatter unless there's something wrong with the tools or set-up. If the table is not

90 degrees to the bit, I could see this happening. However, I have started plenty of holes at angles where the pilot section of the Forstner bit did not engage, just the cutting edge, and the entry was clean and smooth.

I wish people wouldn't jump to conclusions in here instead of speaking from experience.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Just Wondering wrote in news:540828f0$0$4858$ snipped-for-privacy@usenet-news.net:

I've got the smaller Forstner set from Lowes. For $20, it's hard to go wrong.

I've had the set a couple years now, and have successfully dulled the

3/8" bit and the others probably aren't as sharp as they used to be, but for the hobbiest woodworker such a set will be usable for a long time. (Longer if you learn how to sharpen them.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Replace the dull one with a quality bit and you may never have to resharpen it. I have a set that is 30+ years old and the 1-3/8" bit I always used to drill holes for Euro hinges, hundreds, still works pretty well.

Reply to
Leon

If not using a DP a smaller diameter hole will be much easier to drill. Not as much pressure needed to push the bit through. Not all forstners are created the same, especially the inexpensive ones. The less material that the bigger bit has to remove the less effort and heat build up.

Reply to
Leon

If they have the smooth cutting edges they are surprisingly easy to sharpen with small files. I've sharpened the serrated edged bits, too, but not nearly as well.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Plus you get a nice burnished, pre-stained surface from the burning bit. :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

No, still no burning, but it is important to spin these sized bits

Reply to
Leon

A sure way to detect/find your way to a construction site during trim out, _with your eyes closed_ , is to follow your nose, using the smell generated by a dull router bit being used by an onsite "craftsman".

;)

Reply to
Swingman

------------------------------------------------------------------- "Puckdr> I've got the smaller Forstner set from Lowes. For $20, it's hard to > go > wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------- IMHO, if you used the money to light cigars you would get more bang for your buck than buying either of the above.

This set was $89 when I bought it, now $145.

Best money I ever spent for cutting tools back then.

Probably still is today.

Add a quality set of brad point drill bits to cover 1/2" and smaller and your done.

You only cry once.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett