best way?

WD-40 seems to work pretty well for me, when I bother to clean 'em. Mine usually get dull before dingy, and since I use cheapies I recycle and replace them.

Reply to
Elwood Dowd

Do a Google Groups search on this newsgroup; it's been discussed many times, with many different methods proposed.

My method: dissolve about 1/4 cup of washing soda in about 1 qt of warm water in a dishpan. Soak the blade in this solution for five minutes. Wipe clean (scrubbing is not necessary unless the blade is *really* gunky). Rinse. Dry.

Cheap. Easy. Quick. Environmentally benign. Works for bandsaw blades, too.

Don't post a followup asking where you can buy washing soda. We've talked about that too. Use Google. :-)

Doug Miller

I use the Boeshield T-9 Blade and Bit cleaner. Just spray it on, wait 60 seconds and wipe off. I was amazed at how well it desolved the buildup on the blade.

Jim

Jim

I would be grateful for advice on the best way to clean my table saw blades, solvent, techniques, etc...

Reply to
furr2ball

I'm a proponent of the try the least toxic, least corrosive method first concept.

a 5 gallon bucket is about right for 10" blades. if you're going to stack them put spacers between. you don't want to chip the carbide teeth.

cover with warm water. a shot of detergent helps, as does a little vinegar. let them soak for a half-hour.

a light scrub with a soft brass bristle brush should get any stubborn spots.

rinse and dry.

Reply to
bridger

I have great success with Simple Green

snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Reply to
Grant P. Beagles

Simple Green, IMHO, is the best.

1) Stop at Safeway; buy Simple Green; large foil Turkey Tin; small scrub brush 2) Return home 3) Remove blade from Table Saw 3.1 3.12 4) Place blade in foil Turkey Tin; spray liberally with Simple Green - both sides 5) Grab broom and sweep shop and/or sort cutoff bin (i.e. time passes...) 6) Briskly but gently, scrub residue from blade 7) Take clean blade, tin and brush inside and rinse in bathtub with clean cool water 8) Dry with a towel 8.1) Fine Egyptian Cotton for Woodworker II blades 8.2) Ratty ol' wedding gift towel for Vermont American blades 9) Replace blade in saw 9.1) ... 9.5) ... 10) Put Simple Green, tin and brush someplace where you can find them again
Reply to
patrick conroy

Oven cleaner. Let is soak for about 30 seconds and wipe off. Looks like new. If it an expensive coated blade, you might want something less caustic, but it works like nothing else I have tried.

Reply to
George