Best Undermount Drawer Hardware?

I'm looking for opinions.

I need to spec the slides for a vanity and don't feel like my knowledge is current.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker

Tom Watson

... Not so much opinion but might go to woodworkershardware.com and peruse the catalog. Pretty much everything available is there...

--

Reply to
dpb

I'll add cshardware.com to peruse a variety of choices.

Also, Hettich's website (hettich.com) has a pdf you can download with detailed specs of their hinges and slides.

I used Hettich in the kitchen and I believe they were ranked a best buy by one of the WW magazines.

Of the 17 or so drawers I have, 2 slides had problems related to the little plastic "catch" thingie that helps draw the slide closed (did I mention, they're self closing?). I think it (the plastic part) got nicked or something and now has a worn spot that's making it miss the "hook" on the opposing portion of the slide.

Anyway, can't compare 'em to the Blum, but the Blum are maybe 2x as much.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

I have used blum, both the self-closing "blumotion" and the regular undermount. I've been very happy with both types, but I actually prefer the less expensive regular models. I find the self-closing feature doesn't really add any convenience, and it makes the drawer close more slowly--which is an issue for only because I used them on a pull-out tray inside a cabinet, so I have to wait for the tray to retract all the way before I can close the cabinet doors...

Reply to
eag111

I've used "Hittich Quadro V6(21) S/C Full Extension Soft Close" undermounts on my past four kitchens. Last time, paid about $23/pair for the 15" variety recently. The front adjusting catch adds about $2/pair to that.

are well engineered, German made slides, that are the best bang for the buck that I've used, and I've used them all. I prefer them over the "blu motion" by blum, and they're less expensive, with a more expensive feel, in most sizes. Kitchens are a big selling point and these particular drawer slides have indeed helped sell the kitchen with the ladies, and thus the house.

About the only caveat is that you have to build the drawer to fairly precise spec, with particular care in dimensioning your "drawer side" stock. Precision in doing so is paramount for a hassle free installation, as there ain't a hell of lot of room for slop.

This is not something you would have a problem with, but you won't be able to subtract the usual inch from your drawer opening and build your drawers to that width.

I've not had any problem with the catches, as another poster reported, and have not had a single call back in well over 150 drawers in use.

Leon has seen these in action and may want to chime in with his impressions.

Reply to
Swingman

I read a review (FWW maybe?) that considered the Blum to be the best, but for his own project the author chose another one that he felt was almost as good and a fair bit cheaper.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

"Renata" wrote

Are you sure the prongs on the back of each slide, on one or both sides, is seating fully into the holes drilled into the drawer back?

Additionally, did you need to install the "spacer" in the front "catches" to match your wood dimension?

Leaving these out will also cause a similar problem, because the back prongs don't quite seat enough to hold the back of the drawer in place.

Not doubting your troubleshooting conclusion, but I've installed over 150 pair of these particular slides and the above are two problems that can exhibit the behavior you've described.

One of the tricks in _mounting_ the drawer onto these slides is not to push them into the cavity as you would drawer mounted on ordinary slides, but instead, pull both drawer slides out about 3/4 of the way, lay the drawer into position, then reach under the drawer front and with the tips of your fingers, pull the slide on each side toward the front of the drawer until you hear a click.

If you don't get the click, jockeying each side up and down slightly with the other hand, to make the back prongs seat fully into the hold in the drawer backs, will sometime help to insure that back prong fully seats.

You may have already figured all this out, but just in case .... :)

Reply to
Swingman

FWW #198.. Accuride Eclipse Easy-close was rated best overall and Hettich Quadro IW Silent System best value

Reply to
Jim Hall

Yeah! they are very nice, and fun top operate with the soft close feature.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Swing's was, in particular, the sort of thing that I was looking for and I appreciate your clear and detailed response. Nothing beats having direct experience with a piece of hardware and having enough installed units out there in the wild to gauge how they hold up in the real world.

I had read the FWW review and Swing's comments confirm what was stated in that article, so it seems clear that I'll be buying the Hettich slides.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker

Tom Watson

Good to know my experience might have been of some assistance, Tom ... goodness knows I've gotten enough from you in the past few years!

Thanks ...

Reply to
Swingman