Best TS

What is the best table saw for $500? Is there a such thing as a cabinet saw in that price range? Maybe a used one?

A Unisaw at a 75% off sale.
No cabinet saws in that range new, but you may score a used one. Last used cabinet saw that I saw used was still $1200.
I'd either save my money a little longer or look for a good contractor's saw with cast iron wings, good fence and 1.5 hp motor. Or a really good saw with a crappy fence that can be upgraded later for about $300. Ed

Out in the used market, at auctions primarily, they can sometimes be had in that price range, often with 3 phase motors or in some need of repair. A few years back I picked up a 1965 Powermatic 66 with some issues at $350. I've got about double that in it now. There are lots of Unisaws out there as well, both are saws that parts can be found for and aren't to difficult to service.
Be patient,
David
On 29 Jan 2004 06:37:36 -0800, Bannerstone

I picked up a Delta contactors saw last year at an estate auction for 10 bucks... spent 50bucks more for a new blade and the darn thing works like a champ...
Even though I was NOT in the market and already owned a cabinetr saw NOBODY was bidding on it or a bench top drill press (heavy sucker) ... NOW IF I were going to that auction to buy the saw you know darn well 85 other guys would have been bidding ...
I did have to clean it up and I now use it strickly for cross cutting and for using a dado blade...
About the cheapest NEW Cabinet saw I know of is the Grizley at close to 900 bucks... so loking for a used one should get you down close to 500....IF YOU CAN FIND ANY USED SAWS... not very common in my area..
Bob Griffiths
Picked up a used jet 3hp for $300, added grizzley classic fence for < $300, built out feed and extension tables with melaminine cabinet sides and scrap for about $50.

I bought my Delta Contractors saw with a Unifence for about $800. Overall, I very happy with it. You can't beat cast iron wings. I realize that this is not in the price range you asked about, but a wise man once said "My second table saw should have been my first table saw".
Good luck with your upcoming purchase.

You know those folks that run that GIANT online auction service ???
There is 270 table saw entries starting at $10,000 down to $5.00..... There are several cabinet saws in your "range".
HomeBrewer wrote:

Take a look at the Delta Machinery web site...type in 36-655 into their search section. This is a saw I just bought in Canada for $899 Canadian dollars...probably translates to about 600 or so US.

I can't say it's the "best" but Grizzly does have a contrators saw NEW for about $500. I've got a GRIZ 1023SL and I can't say one bad thing about it! It's been a great saw for me.
Ron L.

On 29 Jan 2004 06:00:09 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (HomeBrewer) wrote:

if you are looking for a quality table saw for $500, you'd better be ready to look for a while, and shop used. you will find it eventually.
I paid $650.00 for a 1965 powermatic 65 cabinet saw.     Bridger
Price is about $439 + $75 Shipping.